Skip navigation
Daendyr19
Currently Being Moderated

Map Symbols

Feb 18, 2013 1:22 PM

Hello everyone! I have a question concerning the symbols on map. You see, I'm making a world map in Photoshop (atlas style), and I am wondering what to use as map symbols (for city sizes and such). So I settled for the standard ones (image below), but I have no idea how to make these, or how to start making these.

Should I use the brush tool, or perhaps the custom shape tool (and can someone tell me the difference between those two?), or something entirely else? Thanks.

P.S. Please don't say: "Why don't you just copy the icons?", because they are kind of low-res and I really want to learn this myself.

khorvaire-map-colored.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 18, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to Daendyr19

I recommend that you perform such a task in a vector programm like Illustrator.

Barring that and with refernce to

Should I use the brush tool, or perhaps the custom shape tool (and can someone tell me the difference between those two?)

the output of the Shape Tool can be significantly better because eps and pdf can maintain vector data which would be beneficial for printing when compared to the pixel data a Brush would produce.

But both would not initially provide you with two color objects like Hamlet, Village etc.

but I have no idea how to make these, or how to start making these.

You might want to read

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/drawing.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/drawing-shapes.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 12:46 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

I would also recommend to place your Photoshop file as psd in Illustrator. There you can create vector symbols and put them anywhere you want to use them. If you you want to change a type of symbol you can do it on one place in the symbol definition.)

Vector are crsipy and need not to be rasterized before printing.

You can save it as ai or pdf to maintain all vector capabilites. ai and pdf can also be placed without problems in InDesign.

EPS ist not a recommendable format at all anymore because it will also be raterized in cases when it is overlapped by objects with transparency like drop shadow. (It might often improve the reabilty to use such effects in a limited way with text and vector forms.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 2:44 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

That’s possible but Vector Smart Objects output as pixel data.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

I would not recommend so because the quality is not the same. As C. Pfaffenbichler said the output of the symbols would be rasterized.

I think also that the resulting file might become much bigger when you safe a pdf from Photoshop as it would be when saved from Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

The opposite.  Use Illustrator, and stay in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:31 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

Quite simply, because Photoshop is not the ideal tool for this.  Illustrator is.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

You need to wrap your head around the concepts of vector vs. bit-mapped pixels.

What I am referencing is creating everything from scratch in Illustrator and staying in Illustrator.

As for layers in Illustrator, you can try this for yourself in seconds and teach yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

Those are questions for the Illustrator forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

Daendyr19 schrieb:

… I have already made a map in Photoshop, will I be able to transfer all the layers to Illustrator?

Just open the psd file in Illustrator. You will be asked if you want to convert layers in objects. Confirm it and you get the layers from Ps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Daendyr19

Daendyr19 schrieb:

Alright, then. I'll try doing everything you told me. However, does Illustrator have all the features as photoshop does? I need stuff like noise and such because that's what I used to create my "atlas style" map.

You can edit image files from Illustrator in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:17 PM   in reply to Daendyr19

Lol, I'm getting hundreds of different answers.

Where did you get those answers?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points