Skip navigation
NolletB12
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign stops working

Feb 18, 2013 11:25 PM

Tags: #crash #windows_7 #indesign

I have Windows 7 and InDesign 6. What I want to do is the following: I want to have a textbox with 6 columns which I fill with text I need from the internet (the website doesn't matter). Then I want to let the text flow over the last 3 columns. When I do this and try to make my textbox smaller, bigger, whatever... Windows just shuts down Indesign. There's no errorcode. The weird thing is that it only does this when I copy text from the internet or place a word-document in the textbox. So when I type in my text, it works normally.

Somebody have a solution? I really need the text for my school.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 12:26 AM   in reply to NolletB12

Always happens, even if you create a new file?

There's not much to go on here, but two things to start with, see:

Replace Your Preferences and Troubleshoot font problems | Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:35 AM   in reply to NolletB12

When you copy directly from website to Word, styles also get copied into Word when you paste it. Then placing the Word document in InDesign has a possibility of importing corrupt data. If you're not concerned about the Styles as it looks in the website and just the content, then I recommend you to first copy paste the entire clipboard data that you copy from the website to Wordpad and discard all styles. Then export the document to an RTF file and then place the RTF file in InDesign.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to PrintFusion45

I would suggest the same too. If no styles are required then the text can first be pasted in Notepad and plain text can be taken to Indisign. As expected styles/formatting will be lost. Saving the text into RTF format from word would retain the style sheets but must try and see if it hangs.

BR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:11 AM   in reply to NolletB12

Could also be a bug...

Does it work if you start with 5 or 7 columns and switch to 6 after adding the text? Are you using individual on-column frames, or a single multi-column frame? Have you tried using the other?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to NolletB12

IS ID fully patched? I remember another bug od some sort that involved columns, but I think that had to do with master pages and 3 columns. It never bit me personally, so I've forgotten the details.

Please describe step by step what you are doing so we can try to reproduce the error.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

And when you say InDesign 6, do you mean CS6, which is version 8 (and 8.0.1 is the current patch), or version 6, which is CS4, and should be patched to at least 6.0.5 (there's a 6.0.6 patch that I persaonlly didn't install because it changes the behavior of placed .ai files).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to NolletB12

I'm not certain I'm following yoru directions exactly, but so far I've had no problem here in the US version.

>6. (don't know how to say this in english) Spread the text out on multiple columns (in my case 3 columns)

Are you doing something in this step besides just pasting? The text should flow across as may columns as it needs when you paste.

>7. Place a column-end before my text

By this I think you mean add a column break before the text to move it to the tight one or more columns. Why do you do this? Why not use a narrower frame and position the frame further to the right?

Is your copy of InDesign patched to 8.0.1?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to NolletB12

You can use a 3-column frame that is only half as wide and move it to the right to match the 6-column grid to achieve the same look.

To see if you are patched to 8.0.1 hold dowm the Ctrl key and choose About InDesign from the Help menu. The full version number will be in the upper left of the detailed dialog. If you need the patch, try Help > Updates..., or go to http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5465

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points