Skip navigation
Bayne86
Currently Being Moderated

Transferring files between AICS6 and AICS5

Feb 19, 2013 12:45 AM

I'm currently studying Graphic Design and we're using Illustrator CS6 in class. I have CS5 at home. I've opened a few simple image files in CS5 after having worked on them in CS6 in class, and they seemed to hold up fine after the transfer between the two. However today we did work on layers, and now that I've brought it home and opened it in CS5, there's only one layer.

Is the swapping between the two versions going to cause me many problems like this, or is there simple corrections/way to avoid these issues? I'd rather not fork out for the CS6 version (I'm a struggling college student!) or illegally download it as I've caused computer problems in the past trying to do as such.

Suggestions, help, advice?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to Bayne86

In Ai CS6 you can save as AI file and choose another version. In your case you should choose Illustrator CS5.

If you miss it you will only open the pdf part of the file wothout Illustrator's editing capability.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:08 AM   in reply to Bayne86

Hi,

CS6 can definitely open the CS5 saved native Illustrator ( .ai ) files. In order to properly open the files saved from Illustrator CS6 in CS5, you will need to save the file to CS5 version.

Illustrator provides you with the option to save a file which is compatible with its earlier versions.

This can be done by selecting Version as "Illustrator CS5" in Illustrator Options dialog which appears when saving .ai file, shown as below:

save.png

This saved file can be opened in Illustrator CS5 without any issues.

Happy Learning

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:42 AM   in reply to Bayne86

Hi,

Font will be the substituted one. This is because you saved the file with different font. But you can definitely replace the substituted font when you open the file back in CS6.

Please have a look at the instructions provided on the help page: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/illustrator/cs/using/WSCA212715-FEFA-4cbc- BFC9-FE28E2FCC110a.html

Look for the instructions under the section "Find and replace fonts".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to Saurabh Manocha

Saurabh Manocha wrote:

without any issues.

that depends on what is in the file.

When you use new features the artwork will be flattened. Does also apply to stuff where the Gaussian blur is concerned.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points