Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Find area of an object

Feb 19, 2013 2:32 AM

I have a feeling that this question has been asked before but I can’t find the answer anywhere.

Is there a way to find the exact area of an irregularly shaped object?

If there is, does the procedure work for compound paths (objects with holes in them)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 2:39 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

With tools on board you are not able to get the area from objects in Illustrator, only the length of the path and the number of anchor pints (Window > Document Info, in the Panel menu select Objects.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Steve,

Depending on version, you may use the secret debugger tool.

I always use the Telegraphics Patharea filter.

I am afraid, in either case the area is the sum of the areas of (all) the paths, including the counters.

This means that:

• For a simple/single path it is simple,
    • For a compound path you must also Direct Select the/each counter path and subtract twice the area,
    • If you have any (hidden) copies of paths you must subtract them or delete them first.

You may also Print at a suitable scale along with a reference area, use the Scissors Tool (or similar), and then use the Milligram Tool. That was the way I did when determining eligible land for the single farm payment, until the controller turned up with the smurflike GPS equipment and plodded along eveywhere, eventually confirming my weighing of fields. It was quite nice to have it done because after that no one could question the figures.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Hello Steve, is this the post you were looking for?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5066216?tstart=0#5066216

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points