Skip navigation
hotrod85
Currently Being Moderated

Retaining frame rate of imported video file Adobe Premiere Pro CS6

Feb 19, 2013 3:55 AM

Tags: #frame #frame_rate #fps #rate #30 #60 #29.97 #59.94 #retain #29 #degrade #59

I have a Samsung HD camcorder that shoots video at a resolution of 1920 X 1080 with a frame rate of 59.94 fps. When I import video from the camcorder into Premiere Pro, the frame rate is degraded to 29.97 fps. How can I retain the 59.94 frame rate for editing in Premiere Pro CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to hotrod85

AFAIK there does not exist a Samsung 1080p/60 camera. Likely you are mistaken and mean 1080i/30 or possibly 1080p/30, so the frame rate is probably correct. Which Samsung camera are you ingesting from?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to hotrod85

If you look carefully, you may find that the 59.94 refers to fields per second, not frames per second. Or, perhaps there is a model of camera we don't know about.

My Panasonic DMC-GH3 is capable of shooting 1920X1080 at 59.94 frames per second (written as 60p). It won't do that with an all I-Frame codec but it will with AVCHD at 50Mb/s.

When I import my footage into Premiere Pro  it shows as 59.94. If I put a ten second clip on a timeline by creating a sequence from the clip, the cip is ten seconds in duration. If, however, I choose to interpret the footage as 29.97, it is the same as running it at 50% speed, except that there is no loss of quality compared to a 30p clip - so the video is twenty seconds long.

There isn't a preset that I can find for 1920X1080 at 60 frames per second. I would probably use a DSLR preset if there was one. There is for 720p but not 1080p.  I suppose there will be one eventually, but it really doesn't matter. I just use the 1080p (30p) preset and then drop the clip on the New Item button to create a proper sequence for the footage. Or, since the only reason I ever have to shoot 60p is to slow it down later, I just tell Premiere Pro to interpret the footage as 29.97 and have a slow motion clip.

If I am not planning to slow it down, I shoot all I-Frame at 72Mb/s which restricts me to 30p (29.97). There is a slow motion mode on my camera that shoots in a way that 40 seconds of video takes 100 seconds to play back. So it is actually shooting faster than 60 frames per second. It shoots 75 frames per second. Then if I choose to time warp it in Premiere Pro, I can get a very nice slow motion shot. Or, interpret it as 24p perhaps. I would use that mode when shooting animals, especially birds in flight, or dogs shepharding sheep. But that takes a little planning whereas just generally shooting 60p at a zoo, or Disney's Animal Kingdom is the easiest way to get slow motion when you want it, but standard speeds most of the time.

Still, I feel like shooting all I-Frame gives me the best results for most shots.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to hotrod85

You can force any clip from any camera to play back at a rate you specify with the Clip>Modify>Interpret Footage command.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to Jim Curtis

@Jim,

You can. The question is: should you?

If the footage is truly 29.97 then that is what should be edited for the best results. At least for most people in most cases. If it is truly 59.94 like mine, then you should edit it that way unless slow motion was the purpose in the first place.

Since it is hotrod's first post, it is difficult to judge the level at which the question should be answered.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points