Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Scratch disk full?

Feb 19, 2013 5:52 AM

Tags: #scratch_disk

I have 180 GB of free space on my scratch disk and I try to open 558 MB file, but I still get the "Could not complete your request because the scratch disks are full." -message. I have 8 GB of RAM and no other major programs on. What to do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to Markkainen

Could you please post a screenshot of the Performance Preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to Markkainen

It may not be that important nowadays but previously using the start-up volume as a Scratch Disk was considered worth avoiding.

What disk is it?

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Markkainen

How fragmented is the disk?

And, like I mentioned before, a dedicated Scratch Disk might seem advisable.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 19, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to Markkainen

Partitioning a drive almost guarantees thrashing as well as dividing up your total free space.  I recommend against it.

I have never heard that a fragmented disk can't be used by Photoshop.  Is this a Mac-only limitation, Christoph?

It seems to me what we still don't understand up to this point is why, with that much free space, there are error messages.

Just how big is that "bigger file" in pixels, bit depth, and layers? Somehow I suspect Mark has a real monster of a file that takes much more space in RAM (and scratch) than it does when compressed on disk.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have never heard that a fragmented disk can't be used by Photoshop.  Is this a Mac-only limitation, Christoph?

That was just a shot in the dark.

Edit: Over at

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4 -cs5.html#main_Scratch_Disks

a defragmented disk is recommended, but like I indicated I have no idea how important it really is in this instance.

Set the scratch disk to a defragmented hard disk that has plenty of unused space and fast read/write speeds (see Defragment the hard disk).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Markkainen

This question is interesting, because my windows 7 pc has almost identical performance settings, except that my scratch disc with 150 GB of free space is on a separate drive. I also have 8GB of memory. I have never received a scratch disc full message, and have actually watched the scratch disc size on my second monitor while using photoshop and working on fairly large files and it does not get very large. For instance, I just made a photomerge using 11 20mg files, and my scratch file peaked at 23 GB, well withing the 150 GB free space on the scratch drive. The resulting panorama is 18 x 120 inches, not a size that I usually need. Then, just for the fun of it, I made the same pan but with the OS drive as the scratch location. This time, the process went a little faster, which is not what I expected. The variable is that the OS drive is an ssd, and the other drive is a spinner.

This question is also interesting because I am thinking of getting a Macbook pro in a few months since I can have both pc and mac versions of my photoshop under my creative cloud license.  This raises for me a larger question, which is, does the Mac OS handle the scratch disc differently or less efficiently than Windows does? I am not coming at this from any kind of anti-Apple perspective, as I own an iPad, Apple TV, and an iPod. Incidentally, a staff person at my local Apple store told me that a scratch disc no longer has to be on a separate drive, particularly when using a ssd. If on the same drive, the only result would be a slight performance hit, according to this person, who seemed to be knowledgeable.

Sorry that I got a bit afield here, but it is a least tangentially related to the question.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 19, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to bobmepp

Yes, with an SSD there is no thrashing (because there is no seek time), and most SSDs more than double the performance of a spinning HDD.

I have an SSD array from which I run everything - OS, applications, swap, scratch, data files, work areas.  I don't really even notice a slowdown when working on big datasets that exceed my RAM space and Photoshop begins to use the scratch space heavily.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 19, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Markkainen

Please answer the specific question on image dimensions in post number 8.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Markkainen

Also remember that you are likely seeing that 150GB of free-space with the Windows Virtual Memory Page File not doing much of anything. If it is set to dynamic management (the default), it will grow too, as needed, along with your Photoshop Scratch Disk. Under many load conditions, you might have far less free-space, than you observed when the machine is idle.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

The OS pagefile will grow with application RAM usage.

So if Photoshop's scratch is one the same volume as the OS pagefile, you may get a double hit for the space used (once for Photoshop's RAM in the pagefile, once for the Photoshop scratch file).

And since files are compressed on disk, we don't know what the size in memory might be... unless you give us some details on the contents of the document (layer count, bit depth, etc.).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points