Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Re-Linking Help - Premiere Pro CS6

Feb 19, 2013 9:36 AM

Tags: #missing #relink #mts #files #avchd #link #batch #media #connect #metadata #clips #linking #reconnect #connecting #batch_processing #reconnecting #relinking

Hey guys, thanks in advance for the help. I must admit that I am new to Premiere, and have really enjoyed working with it so far. Many of the things I needed in an NLE are in this package. With that being said, my background is in FCP, and I'd spent that last 9 years in that workflow.

Background -

Huge project. 20 TB of media for 30 episodes. Project is being assembled and edited in Premiere Pro CS6 at another facility. Once they finish the edit, they send the project file to me. They have all 20 TB of media duplicated on their SAN. I have all 20 TB of media on my SAN as well. The goal is to reconnect all of the clips locally, then render and fine-tune the edit.

Questions -

1) Is there a way to re-link all missing media from the Sequence independently of the project? (IE: I only need to re-link the media in the sequence.)

2) FCP7 had a batch "reconnect media" dialog that allowed us to get an overview of all clips "missing." Does that exist in Premiere? If not - is there a 3rd party solution?

3) Some of our media is AVCHD, MTS files... Many of the clips have the same name, but are from different reels. For example, doing a quick Spotlight search on my SAN and found 73 clips with this exact name: "00013.MTS"  - Is there a way to search by more than file name? IE, source media duration, source media created date, etc.?

4) Is there a way to generate a list of all missing media (and some metadata) for a sequence?

Thanks in advance for the help!

____

Aaron

LA Kings Hockey Team

@Hey_Aaron

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 1:47 PM   in reply to hey Aaron

1. Not within PP, but outside of PP you could put only the needed clips into the folder for PP to find.  The others would remain offline.  This does require knowing in advance which clips will be used, though.

2. This happens every time you open a project.  PP will ask for the location of any missing media.

3. This is a major flaw in the AVCHD design.  You will have a hard time with this one, as there is no way to know which 0013.mts is being asked for.  It's a big enough issue that you may want to seriously consider doing all the work on one machine.

4. No.  PP doesn't create any reports.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to hey Aaron
    You will have a hard time with this one, as there is no way to know which 0013.mts is being asked for...

Does Adobe have a recommended workaround?

See this discussion on how PrPro searches for missing AVCHD files. Check out this thread as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to hey Aaron

I'm looking for is ANY way to identify clips in a sequence that are missing media

Ah.  In the sequence, the clip will show a red Media Offline warning when you try and watch it.  In the bin, you do get an Offline icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 12:35 AM   in reply to hey Aaron
    Is there a way to generate a list of all missing media (and some metadata) for a sequence?

Since PrPro project is an XML file, you can open it up with e.g. Microsoft Excel.

Depending on whether you opened the file as XML table or just XML map, either drop on the list ActualMediaFilePath and OfflineReason fields from XML map (fields are located in Media root folder of the map) or find these columns manually and hide all the rest. Then just filter out '0' values in OfflineReason and Bob's your uncle:

PrPro. Offline Media List.jpg

NOTE: That's for the whole project, not for a particular sequence in the project.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points