Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

HDV to DVD

Feb 19, 2013 12:44 PM

Although I do not use E11 myself I do teach this stuff. So I did some testing.

I encoded some hdv footage to a dvd folder.

And I am not happy with the result.

The dvd footage jumps up and down in the top of the screen.

And what I dont like at all is E11 flipping the fields to lower for dvd.

Look and compare: anti-aliasing is turned of in the vlc player

Original

hdv original.png

E11 dvd folder, all looks blurry especially the edges of the b/w chart.

hdv to dvd E11.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

What model of camcorder is this video coming from and what format and resoluiton is it?

When you go to the Edit/Project Settings menu, what project settings does the program show?

Some noise at the top and bottom of a frame can sometimes happen. It's not a problem with your program or the camcorder -- and it's never visible when you show the DVD on a TV.

Have you tried playing the video in VLC Media Player, a far better player for interpreting DVD video on a computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Well, if you prefer the results you're getting from other encorders, there's certainly no crime in using them. I commonly edit my video in Premiere Elements and then use another program to take the finished files to a DVD. So go where you get the best results.

Although, depending on what devices you're using to project your video on a big screen, DVD may not be the best solution anyway.

Since you're shooting in high-def, a high-def format like BluRay will give you much better results.

And if you're showing your video by connecting a laptop to a projector, you may want to use a computer-based video format, like an H.264/mp4, rather than a television-based format like a DVD or BluRay disc.

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all solution -- so you've got to figure out the best workflow for your particular situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

As I said, Ann, field issues only appear when you've created a file for one medium (such as a DVD for TV) and you're using another device (such as a computer) to play the file.

There is no one-size-fits-all solution. You need to determine where and how you're going to share your movie with your audience before you can know what format to output for the optimal results.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers