Skip navigation
kerry1369
Currently Being Moderated

Can't move from Lightroom 4.3 to CS5 for further editing

Feb 19, 2013 2:36 PM

I am trying to move a RAW file I have edited in Lightroom 4.3 over to CS5 for further editing.  When I select the photos, then select "Edit in Photoshop" under the Photo menu, Lightroom tells me it can't open any of the photos I have selected.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Kerry

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to kerry1369

What is the actual message?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to kerry1369

I second Jim Hess' question: What is the text of the actual message that you are getting?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to web-weaver

You should be getting a warning message, not an error, that the versions of camera raw do not match between Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5. This is because Lightroom 3 is built to work with Photoshop CS5, while Lightroom 4 works with Photoshop CS6. However, this should not be a hard stop, just a message that you will need to have the file rendered before it opens in PSCS5. This will be automatic, just a notice that it will be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 5:05 PM   in reply to kerry1369

Sending the files as JPEG gets around this whole issue of incompatible versions of the camera raw. However, I can't recreate the behavior you describe, I'm able to send from Lightroom 4.3 to Photoshop CS5 which uses Camera Raw 6.7 without issue. But you do need to be using Camera Raw 6.7, which is an update that specifically grants this ability.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2013 6:18 PM   in reply to kerry1369

Is there any chance you have started using Nikon Transfer to download your images from the camera? If you are not using the right version of that software it can make your images so that they cannot be opened using Lightroom.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 12:10 AM   in reply to kerry1369

I'm just wondering if the default for LR is to "Open Anyway" once you've ticked the box to not show that dialogue again, rather than remembering that you would prefer to "Render with Lightroom".

Might be worth resetting all dialogue prompts (General tab of Preferences, toward the bottom).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to kerry1369

Just to be clear, whilst your CS5/ACR is 6.7, have you also set LR to use "Camera Raw 6.6 & Later" in the LR Preferences (File Handling tab)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Imagenomad

beau_nash wrote:

Just to be clear, whilst your CS5/ACR is 6.7, have you also set LR to use "Camera Raw 6.6 & Later" in the LR Preferences (File Handling tab)?

That option is only there to specify compatibility of DNG files.  It doesn't tell Lightroom which version of Camera Raw to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to JimHess

Ah, thanks Jim. I thought it was also involved in the raw processing & rendering by LR.

Thanks for the clarification.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to kerry1369

If reinstalling didn't fix things the first time, there should be no reason it does so a second time. The reason a reinstallation might fix this is that it would re-establish the file associations required. However, the error message you get doesn't suggest this is the problem. Rather, it sounds more like the files themselves are the source of the issue, not the programs. We know that JPEGs work, but they use a different process altogether. Let's try this other test. In the Photoshop progam folder is a Samples folder. In that is a file called Doors.dng. Try importing this file into Lightroom and then send it to Photoshop. Do you still get the same error?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points