Skip navigation
kwdelre
Currently Being Moderated

No Preview in Bridge

Feb 19, 2013 4:53 PM

Hi there,

I have been trying to solve this issue for a few months now.

After updating my Mac OS to Mountain Lion, when I use Bridge I cannot see the preview of files. In the preview pane it will play just fine and thinks it is, but there is nothing there. Oddly, sometimes if left there, it will display a frame from the video.

I have two versions of Bridge, CS4 and CS5.1 and it does this on both.

In my research I came across that it may be caused by something involving Quicktime, but have had no such luck. (I will also direct a question to a Mac forum)

I have....

Reinstalled CS4 and CS5.5 several times

Repaired disk permissions

Reinstalled Quicktime several times

Deleted any leftovers from perian and Flip4Mac (told to somewhere)

I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it so any help would be much appreciated.

-Will

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to kwdelre

Are you only talking above preview of video?  And yes Quicktime is the engine for that.

Can you run a slide show OK?  Both of these functions needs a good video card to work well.  What GPU do you use?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 20, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to kwdelre

Yep, just the preview. I can open and use the files just fine and can preview them in Finder as well.

What file type are trying to view?

Did you already try to purge the cache. just try select one file in the content panel and with right mouse click menu select 'purge cache for selection" to see if this changes the behavior.

Do you have 10.8.2 and have you the latest updates for CS5.5 installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to kwdelre

I seem to recall a post about a similar problem couple of months ago.  Was unable to find but this came up and might be of some interest to you.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/826465

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 21, 2013 3:43 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I seem to recall a post about a similar problem couple of months ago

Working with CS6 and Mountain Lion I have no problem at al viewing .mov files in Bridge. The thumbs show in the content window and I can see and play the file in the preview window without problems.

Under file type associations in Bridge Preferences the Quicktime .mov files are associated with Quicktime 10.2, can you check if this is the same on your system?

And also try to select a thumb of a .mov file and with right mouse click choose 'purge cache for selection" to see if this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:01 PM   in reply to kwdelre

If you use software rendering and performance improves it means either your video card or driver is not up to the task.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 22, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to kwdelre

Interesting, that would mean everyone else that got the upgraded card on the new iMac would also have this issue.

I can't imagine this would be the case, to my knowledge all standard configurations for a Mac are supported and since you can use PS and Bridge and have 2 GB VRAM installed the enable software rendering is no option to need for you

Also I reckon you have at least 4 GB RAM installed and that would also not cause this problem.

Have you already tried to reset Bridge holding down option key and from the menu choose 'reset preferences' to reset them to factory defaults. Meaning you should set your custom settings again but that takes a few minutes usually and often solves strange problems.

If needed you can repeat this procedure including manual deleting the Bridge plist file from your user library (per OSX 10.7 hidden by default, view menu Go and press option to reveal it)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to kwdelre

kwdelre wrote:

Interesting, that would mean everyone else that got the upgraded card on the new iMac would also have this issue. Kind of odd that I wouldn't have found something about it from other posts. Maybe they found the option faster than me.

This "upgraded card" is this a new video card?  The GPU is just part of the issue, the other half is the GPU driver.  Since this is updated with Apple OS and not from the manufacturer you are helpless if this is the issue.  If you know the make and model of the GPU and the driver version in your iMac you can go online and see what the latest driver is.  If there is a lag you might contact Apple and see if they can include it with the next OS update.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:04 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Forgot to add that just having the latest driver does not mean it is the best.  Sometimes new drivers have lots of bugs.  With ATI it took about 7 versions to get one that works well with CS6 and Win 7.  Intel is really slow in bringing out updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:50 PM   in reply to kwdelre

What GPU card would that be?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 23, 2013 2:49 AM   in reply to kwdelre

Yeah, I already tried what you suggested.....no luck.

Can we summarize this thread, I did get a bit lost

Am I correct in understanding that preview of a .mov does not show but if you select the 'use software rendering' option it does show as expected??

And you have the latest update for Bridge CS 5.1 (have only CS6 on my system so can't check but for CS5 it was 4.0.5 and I suspect CS5.1 (came with CS5.5) it should say 4.1.5.

You do use PS CS 5.5 in combination with Bridge CS5.1 (they came together as did PS CS5.0 and Bridge CS5.0, Adobe made it very difficult with all different versions in the suites…)

And you already tried a purge cache for selection to check if it was a cache related problem but that did not seem the case?

Also reset of preferences and manual deleting plist file gave no solution.

If the software rendering solves the problem it might be that your new graphic card is not supported with the older PS versions (hard to believe to be honest, always thought every possible graphic card that was delivered by Apple would match with Adobe)

A trial version of CS6 would show if that was the case, I use OSX Mountain Lion 10.2 with CS6 and can view the .mov files in preview and play them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to kwdelre

When did your troubles begin?  After update to new card?  If this is true perhaps the card is defective.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to kwdelre

Can you swap video card with other computer?  If the problem then swaps to other computer then either the card is defective or the driver is not supported.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 23, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to kwdelre

If you had been a little more straight forward with your customers I would have known CS6 was coming out. /rant

I'm not sure I fully agree with you on this, usually rumors about a new version start almost 6 month before release and there is certainly a lot of news 2 to 3 months before the official release.

Also the new upgrade policy for CS6 has been adverted and discussed in almost every blog or article in the professional literature and they even extended the new upgrade policy almost 6 months to give every one a chance to upgrade from CS3 and higher a bit longer.

And a cloud subscription has been giving a special offer for users of previous versions up to CS3 for almost half the price for one year (I believe the still have this offer available).

I know that preferable you would have had a private mail with announcing CS6 or even a warning message about waiting a little longer because the 30 day rule was near but I don't believe that is policy that much business organizations would use…

But I understand your wish for ranting because every large company acts for it own best, yet stating they have the customer at a high level. But if every company was as good as is adverts promised we would live in Utopia…

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to kwdelre

Just a note on upgrades.  You are elegible for an upgrade to CS6.  If you wait until CS7 comes out you will have to pay full price for it.  In US that is $200 vs $700.  So my thinking is if you are ever going to upgrade in the future you might as well do it now and enjoy the features of CS6. 

I really hate having to upgrade each time a new version comes out, every other version is more my liking, but that means less for Adobe, and they have the hammer.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to kwdelre

I am assuming that CS5 and CS5.5 have the same upgrade potenial.  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/buying-guide-upgrades.html

But then I never really figured out what CS5.5 was.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Feb 24, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to kwdelre

I don't think many people, even Adobe employees, would disagree that a customer that has spent thousands of dollars over the years and given out countless recommendations deserves a couple days exception.

I'm convinced the vast majority of Adobe employees are nice and hardworking people that wish us all the best but sadly enough as usual the people on the floor are not making the decisions. And yes, like you I have my own small business and client satisfaction is my most important goal (besides enjoying what I do).

The management departments however are a whole other story I'm afraid…

About the upgrade, Curt provides figures for only Photoshop while you have a Suite. It might be worth trying the offer for the Cloud subscription, this provides you with the whole master collection for about the same price as you need to upgrade.

There is one downside on the cloud that I am still considering (while currently enjoying the subscription offer for the first year), you don't own the software and when you end the cloud subscription you also end up with no applications at all. Its a calculation and while I have a hard copy of PS CS6 and a design suite of CS5 I won't run in to trouble directly when quitting the cloud. It's all about choices, just as in real life

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points