Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Corrupt photoshop CS6 when opening any file

Feb 20, 2013 3:32 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #corrupt_software

Hello, I have a strange problem. My CS6 photoshop is viewing any file I open as corrupt (please see examples below) but when I save them, they are ok in windows preview / bridge etc.. its only showing really weird in photoshop! I dont know what has all of a sudden changed! I havent changed any settings!

Does anyone know why photoshop is being weird? I am on a windows 7, 64 bit PC and this problem is not just limited to my PC, my colleagues also today have this same issue on their PCs too!

What I see in Photoshop:

bad.jpg

What I should be seeing:

ok.jpg

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 20, 2013 4:04 AM   in reply to Sara.Reese

This could be the now well-known ATI driver problem where it will black out any color where the red channel is 0.  Do you all have ATI video cards?

There are several workarounds...  Any one of these should get you working again:

1.  Install the ATI Catalyst 13.2 beta driver from the ATI web site (this is my recommendation).

2.  Drop back to the ATI Catalyst 12.8 driver, specifically.  Do not install any version later than 12.8 or earlier than 13.2.

3.  Change your Performance preferences, Advanced GPU settings to Basic mode and restart Photoshop.

I have personally tested the 13.2 beta 5 driver for a week now, and it runs perfectly stably.  I haven't yet tested beta 6.  ATI appears to have finally listened to Adobe and fixed the issue in 13.2.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 20, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to Sara.Reese

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 20, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to Sara.Reese

They know about it already, and have (as I mentioned above) already fixed it in the 13.2 beta driver.  I submitted that bug report to them when the successor to 12.8 was still in beta.  I am disappointed it's taken them this long to fix it. 

I used to recommend ATI cards to people without reservation, but not any more.  They had a run of mostly good driver releases for a couple of years, but I think they're slipping lately.  It's going to take some time for them to build confidence back up.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I have personally tested the 13.2 beta 5 driver for a week now, and it runs perfectly stably.

-Noel

I had a bunch of crashes earlier today with 13.2 beta 5, one of them was reported as due to module atio6axx.dll, version: 6.14.10.12171. I rolled back to 12.8 when I'd had enough.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 23, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to Yammer

Make sure you let ATI know about the failures.

http://www.amd.com/betareport

Interestingly - and quite possibly just because I haven't done the same things as you - I have yet to see a crash with 13.2 b5.  I was doing serious and intensive Photoshop work all day yesterday too.

What was it you were doing when you crashed it; do you recall?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I didn't make a note of the steps I took, as I was in a rush. I was working on a 27MP panorama first of all, then on 4 16MP photos concurrently, running them through old Nik contrast and sharpening plugins. I knew something was up when I got a Windows 7 memory warning, which I've never seen before today. I even tried changing OpenCL setting to Normal, but that made no difference.

Before I went away last week, I tried a few performance-enhancing tweaks to the system (including the beta driver), and was repeatedly benchmarking. I noticed that the 13.2 beta was faster than 12.8, but not by a major amount (less than 4%). I'll take stability any day. I'll report back if I have the same problems, and this was a red herring.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points