Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PE11 is driving me mad, sorry!

Feb 20, 2013 6:10 AM

Just when I think I'm at last on my way with PE11, the same old weird problems keep coming at me.  OK, Bill, so I've got all my .prel files (11 of them) in the one folder I've been working on all the time (btw is it possible to upload screencaptures to illustrate?  I could send things to my Dropbox with links if that would help).  Elements has created all its usual subfolders, I've not deleted anything from the folders, not moved anything, not cleaned the mediacache.

Two things happen when I go to File > Open Recent Project, or alternatively File > Open Project.   1)  Open Project dialog box opens, all the .prel files are there.  I click on Bridge-01 (I've been videoing traffic on and under a bridge) and absolutely nothing happens, except the dialog box closes, ie, nothing in Project Assets, noting on Timeline (I'm working in Expert mode).

Alternatively File > Open Project > dialog box opens > ditto, ie zilch!

This has happened several times before, and I spent some time on the phone with an Adobe helpdesk person who told me my mistake (but he was wrong) was that I was trying to open .prel files by using the Add Media box.   Somehow the problem cures itself, or goes away, or I've been able to open .prel files simply by double-clicking them.   But it doesn't always work.

Forgive me, but this gets me so irritated with PE11 (although not nearly as irritated as when I tried working with Corel VideoStudio Pro X5 which did little but continually crash my pc every 5 mins).

There's nothing really intuitive about working with PE11 -- I hope I'm not being misunderstood, I really do like *most* of what Elements11 does, and contradicting myself much of it *is* intuitive, eg adding effects, transitions, keyframes and so on:  but it's the very basic stuff, handling files that doesn't seem to me to make sense!

Why can't I just click to open a bunch of .prel files, or even merely one of them?   Weird.  And this after a good night's sleep (didn't have to get up early this morning).

Hoping for enlightenment!

cheers

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 6:40 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Are you clear on the difference between media files and project files? If I'm reading your posts correctly, it sounds like sometimes you're trying to open media files by going to Project/Open -- which won't work.That's only for opening project (.prel) files.

Also, you seem to be going to Project Assets and trying to open .prel files -- which won't work, since .prel files are project files and Project Assets are .avi, .mov, .m2t, .mpeg, .jpg, etc., files.

Or am I just confused by what you're doing?

Have you worked through my 8 part Basic Training tutorials yet?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Beyond that, it could be that it's just not going to go on your system. I mean, you've posted so many problems to this forum, we've either got some serious pilot error here or the marriage between your system and this program is just never going to work. No shame either way. And there are plenty of alternatives out there. But if you can't do something as basic as opening a project or adding a media file to a project, it's just not worth raising your blood pressure over. And you've used enough angry exclamation marks in your posts to indicate some pretty serious frustration.

I'm serious, and I don't at all mean to sound flip or insensitive. But if, after working through my Basic Training tutorials, you still can't even get a project started, it's definitely time to cut your losses and move on to another video editor. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 6:48 AM   in reply to gbrmk

What the heck is a .prv file? I Googled it and it says its a Windows bootlog file.

It's not a media file that's supported by Premiere Elements?

Have you worked through my basic training tutorials yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

For the attachment of screen-caps, please see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to gbrmk

When PrE does not get beyond the Open (for Project, or PREL files only), a possible issue is with the video driver. While that normally manifests itself at the initial splash screen, I have seen the GUI get partially open, then not go any farther.

It's simple to check this aspect. Get the make and model of your video card, then go to Start>Run and type in dxdiag. From Display, get your video card's Driver number and date, and compare that with the nVidia, or ATI/AMD Web site, for your model card, and OS. If you do not have the latest video driver, download and install that. Reboot, and test. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137087#4137087

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to gbrmk

In that article, there is an image of the Adobe Forum editing screen, pointing to the little "camera" icon, which will allow one to attach an Image, that is either a JPEG or a PNG.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to gbrmk

You'll never be driven from these forum, my scholarly friend.   Ripping Premiere Elements is perfectly acceptable -- as long as it's toward the end of getting you a resolution to your issues.

I just want to spare you the agony of trying to make things work when the relationship between the program and your system isn't a happy one. It happens sometimes.

Fortunately, you're in good hands. Bill has been known to stay with these things right to the end, if it helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

For the setup and arrangement of your Projects, I use a method that has served me well, in all flavors of Premiere.

I start my Project by creating a root folder, with the Project's name. In some cases, I might do this below a "client" root folder, but everything for each Project is below the Project Name folder. I will create sub-folders, as needed for the particular Project. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028199#4028199

On my laptop, I do those on my E:\drive. On my workstation, they are on my H:\ drive.

That way, when I navigate to my [Project Name] root folder, say "Blackberry_Farm_2011" I have the PREL file in that folder. Now, PrE (and PrPro) will give me the option of a list of "Recent Projects," and will keep the Path to each of those, so I do not have to do the navigation myself - the Path is built into the listing of Projects. If I need to work on a Project, that might have fallen off the list, then I just navigate to the root folder for that Project, and the PREL will be right there.

I also keep Copies of any Assets in sub-folders, below that Project Name root folder, so that everything is in one place, and easily managed. I sacrifice a bit of performance that way, but in the end, it has always worked perfectly for me. I also have my Premiere Scratch Disk location set to: "Same as Project," so that my Media Cache, etc., is right there too, along with my AutoSaves for each Project.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to gbrmk

There are lots of resources available on Muvipix.com at no charge to anyone.

But, no. A subscription to the more advanced tips, tutorials, music files, DVD templates and motion backgrounds costs the same, whether you have the book or not.

Though, who knows? Maybe the book will tell you everything you need to know! (It's nearly everything I DO know!)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to gbrmk

All of the posts show Feb. 20. I think what you are seeing IS the Join Date or Jan 13. Not sure about an e-mail client's display, but look to the right of your Reply's Header, for the posting date.

Glad that the PREL's will Open for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to gbrmk

At the top right of the screen your project file name is displayed. If you hover the mouse cursor over this project title the complete path to the project file displays.

3.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers