Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Background image for double spread in Book module

Feb 20, 2013 7:55 AM

I have placed a photo on a two-page spread as a background graphic. It appears twice - on the left and right pages. All I want is a background image spread over the two pages. Is this possible with the Background Graphic feature?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to Robin Hull

It is possible provided you select a page layout for <Two Page Spreads>.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

I just select a <Two Page Spread> as layout, select an image in the film strip, and drag it to the small window in the Background panel where it says "Drop photo here".

PS: Don't drag the image onto the pages, drag it to the small background window.

Message was edited by: web-weaver - PS Added

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Maybe this is your problem:

You have selected a page layout where the image covers both pages to the margins so that no background is visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Well then there is no background visible.

Where do you think the background can be visible in a book when the foreground image bleeds to all four edges?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Robin Hull wrote:

Lightroom 4 as taken the central section of the image and placed the same section on each of the pages, disregarding the selection I had made for a two-page spread format.

In the Background panel there is a box called <Apply Background Globally>. If you check the box the background image will appear on all pages.

Uncheck the box and the background image will be only on the page that is currently selected.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Are you using Lightroom 4.3? I found some bugs similar to those you describe in the earliest versions of Lightroom 4 and thought they had been eliminated.

Maybe post a screenshot so we can tell exactly which double page spread you are using.

John

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Robin Hull,

What am I seeing on the 2nd screen shot? Is this two background images side by side? And is this a double-spread layout?

I'm asking because, try as I might, I cannot get two images on the background in a double spread layout.

If "yes" is the answer to my questions: Could you please describe step-by-step how you did this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

Sorry, the screenshot I need would shown which page layout you are using. I wasn't specific enough, but click the triangle in the bottom right corner of the orange patch, and grab the page layout popup panel.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to Robin Hull

OK, I think I see what you did.

You don't have a double spread layout, you have two single (opposing) pages that are text pages.

In the group of text pages there is no double spread. Double spread layouts are only in the group named "Two-Page Spreads"'

You say "both pages are outlined with the yellow border so I assumed they were going to be treated as one page". This assumption is not correct. You can click on one page and then Ctrl / Cmd - click on the second page and both pages are selected, and both pages are outlined in yellow. But that doesn't make them a Double-Spread layout.

So in short, with text page layouts you cannot achieve the design that you want.

The only work-around that I see is the solution that you already tried:

Select a Double-Spread layout and use the <Page Caption> box for your text.

You say "Spacing lines of text vertically with these caption options so that I can put a title, author and publisher separated with a lot of white space, is quite a cumbersome procedure".

I agree, it is. But it can be done.

The caption box will expand as you add more text or add more (empty) lines wiht <Enter>. This will put empty vertical space between your text lines. You probably know that already.

You can move the text on the page using the "Padding" feature. This feature will add blank space either all around, or on select sides only. By selecting "Padding" for one side only you can move the text acroos the page horizontally or vertically.

Well, it ain't Adobe In Design - but it's doable. After all you have only one or two title pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 4:52 AM   in reply to Robin Hull

I can reproduce the problem. I'll dig around a bit more.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

Definitely looks like a bug. Could be the same one I reported a while ago and which I thought had been fixed. Thanks for the screenshots.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Robin Hull

I've reported it to Adobe so I'd hope it will be fixed before too long.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Robin Hull

Now that I read your step-by-step description, I can reproduce this behavior, too.

Win 7 64-bit, Lr 4.3.

Good that you reproted the bug, johnbeardy.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:37 AM   in reply to web-weaver

Enlightened self-interest

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 26, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to john beardsworth

Friends, any update on this. I see the same issue even with Lighroom 5.2. Please Advise. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points