Skip navigation
TibiTaebi
Currently Being Moderated

smart objects and convert color profile behaviour

Feb 20, 2013 3:11 PM

Tags: #color_profile #smart_object

I get different results when converting to the same color profile before and after converting to smart object. Why?

Do the following:

1. create a cmyk document with color profile 'Euroscale Uncoated v2' and fill the document with the color 86, 32, 14, 0

2. change the color profile to 'Euroscale Coated v2' -> the values change to 73, 29, 16, 0, no color change on the monitor

3. create a smart object -> the values stay the same, no color change on the monitor

4. create a second document like in step 1

5. create a smart object -> the values stay the same, no color change on the monitor

6. now change the color profile to 'Euroscale Coated v2' -> the values stay the same, this time we have a color change on the monitor

Why don't I get the same result?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 11:20 PM   in reply to TibiTaebi

2. change the color profile to

Please be more specific, you seem to mean that you used »Convert to Profile«.

6. now change the color profile to 'Euroscale Coated v2' -> the values stay the same, this time we have a color change on the monitor

CMYK Smart Objects do not get properly converted to other CMYK spaces.

To me this seems like a straight up bug (and a known one) because RGB Smart Objects seem to behave differently.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to TibiTaebi

As an aside: Are you really doing image editing in an uncoated CMYK space and repurpose that for other CMYK spaces or was that just an example to illustrate the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:08 AM   in reply to TibiTaebi

Like I said: CMYK Smart Objects seem to be afflicted with a bug as concerns converting to other CMYK spaces.

And while the term »bug« may be debatable it seems to qualify as »unwanted« and »unexpected« behaviour to some at least.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to TibiTaebi

Yes, I do convert from uncoated to coated cmyk because that's all I have.

Well, when one has to work with image data that has been damaged by others one has to take what one gets …

As far as I know this is a general issue for CMYK Smart Objects and has come up before, but I don’t remember an official acknowledgement.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4195428#4195428

I could not locate a Bug Report over on

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/

so to make sure you could register one or if you can find one lend your support to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 16, 2013 9:05 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

I found this topic looking for an answer to this exact same problem.

Many of you refer to it as a bug / unexpected behaviour, which i thought it was either. But after some tests, it seems very logical behaviour actually to me now.

It simply follows the rules in the color settings.

In "Color Management Policies", when CMYK is set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles", it keeps the CMYK numbers for smart objects. Setting this to "Convert to Working CMYK" would make the color conversion as expected.

However, i don't think this would be a good idea (depending on your workflow offcourse). For example, pasting a 100K shape from a coated.icc illustrator file into an uncoated.icc photoshop file, as a smart object, would convert the 100K (not keeping the CMYK numbers).

I guess the workarround with a CMYK smart object into an RGB smart object (or maybe LAB), is ok to use when CMYK to CMYK conversion is really necessary for smart objects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points