Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I'm hoping to post a video

Feb 20, 2013 7:26 PM

Just made this video about a very boring bridge.   Because I'm in UK, I exported it in PAL format, but I think it will play on computers(?)   (NTSC plays on pc's in the UK tho' not on TV sets.)

It's not exactly a first effort cos I did others working thru Steve's Lynda.com course, and Jan Ozer's Classroom book, but it's my longest (and most boring) yet.

I've uploaded it to my Dropbox and hope you can access it from there, 'cos I'm looking for critical review (of a relatively gentle kind to start

I used a Canon 650D  DSLR without a tripod, but with one of those loupe thingies that attach to the back of the camera, magnifies the 'live view' and also steadies the camera to some extent against the forehead -- also the lens was Canon EFS 18 - 135 mm with image stabilizer.  Canon advises against zooming while filming.   BTW, I've just ordered Richard Harrington's "Creating DSLR Video" -- I watched some of his conversation-tutorials with his colleage, whose name escapes me at this late hour ... So I'm hoping I'll learn to take better videos.   Even PE11 can't make great movies out of bad clips.

The link to the video is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqgkis5ex523yfd/A%20very%20boring%20Bridge.m 2t

shorter version:-

http://tinyurl.com/bfb6hzd

BTW for reasons of space, I'll probably leave it there only for a month -- I mention this so that anyone coming across the link in the future wont get one of those dreaded 'not found' messages.

all best

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 8:35 PM   in reply to gbrmk

1st link did not work, 2nd one did... lots of "flicker" right after the bicycle rider departed, very distracting... I think the flicker was the autofocus lens "going bonkers" when you were trying to shoot between the railings and it didn't know if you wanted a closeup of the railing, or down below on the road

Yep... boring... next time, find a car with a sun roof, and someone standing up through the opening waving back at you

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to John T Smith

John T.,

I saw the same thing, but am not sure that it was from the AF. It looked more like banding, maybe from a rolling shutter. Not sure about the shutter system in the Canon, or what would have caused that.

The AM light looked nice, and the Fast Motion, and Reverse Motion came out smoothly.

Did not try the first link, but I take your word for it.

I think that this IS a start, and look forward to seeing more.

Hunt

PS - Where was THAT nice weather, when we were in London in Oct and Dec!?!?!?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to gbrmk

gbrmk wrote:

Re the links, I can’t explain that – the tinyurl is simply the clever piece of work, by a mathematician surely, that reduces the first longer URL (as you all know, sorry).   If the 2nd link works, the 1st one should too, no?

The long link as included in the web post is invalid - it includes both the long link and short link together:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqgkis5ex523yfd/A%20very%20boring%20Bridge.m 2t%20%20%20http://tinyurl.com/bfb6hzd

and cannot be interpreted by dropbox. You can see this is you hover the cursor over the link.

1.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Yes, I caught that reference.

Also, besides some of the basics, such as Project Settings, Importing Source Files, Reverse Motion and Fast Motion, you are experimenting with Titles too. Great exercises.

I find DOING to be instrumental to MY learning processes. READING is my very close # 2, with WATCHING down the list. That is one reason that I more often link to books, than tutorials, unlike many others. My wife (the "smart one" in the family) is first a "watcher," then a "doer," and last a "reader." Different strokes...

Enjoy, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to gbrmk

belt and braces, as ever

I also attach 4 helium balloons to my trousers too, but you know how old engineers are - margin of safety, and all that.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Ducks & geese from The Serpentine?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Ah, the Thames then?