Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to prevent synchronize folders from also adding all siblings?

Feb 20, 2013 11:31 PM

Tags: #synchronize #lightroom4

In Library module, Fodlers Pane, I have a Local Disk (D:)\My Pictures folder. When I do "Synchronize folders" on My Pictures, not only does LR un-hide the parent folder of My Pictures (which I had previously hidden), but it also adds to the library all the sub-folders within that parent folder, i.e. all siblings of My Pictures. I only would like to synchronize the content of My Pictures (and its sub-folders), I do not want to also add all sibling folders of My Pictures and their content to the library. Any way I can do that?

I am running LR 4.3 under Windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2013 11:44 PM   in reply to Francesco F.

Francesco F. wrote:

Any way I can do that?

I don't know of a way to do it using Lr natively, but at the risk of seeming like a plugin pusher:

Ottomanic Importer will do what you want.

Note: If anybody wants to exclude plugin solutions, consider wording like:

"Is there any way to do xyz, without resorting to a plugin?"

Otherwise, I assume plugin solutions should be mentioned, if they are the only way I know to solve the problem at hand...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:51 AM   in reply to Francesco F.

Depending on why you are doing this Sync operation - could you try using "Import" instead, selecting the "Add" option?

Import allows you to focus demonstrably onto a single folder, and all images previously imported show dimmed - IOW, you have a chance to visually preview and interact with what is about to happen. Also to batch-keyword it.

RP

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to Francesco F.

At the risk of sounding dense, how are you doing "Synchronize Folders" on 'My Pictures' if you've "hidden" 'My Pictures.'

I recently added a 2nd internal drive on my Windows 7 system and have "redirected" 'My Pictures' from the default C: drive drive location to this 2nd internal drive (K:) using this procedure:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Redirect-a-folder-to-a-new -location

Everything stored in the 'My Pictures' folder on drive K: gets synchronized in LR, which is what I (and you?) want. All other folders that I don't want synched in LR have been moved out of the 'My Pictures' folder. If you can detail which "sibling" folders of 'My Pictures' you do NOT want synchronized in LR I might be able to provide additional suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:40 AM   in reply to Francesco F.

Is LR adding all folders on your D: drive, then?   I mean if D:\My Pictures\ is the root folder in LR, then its siblings would be all other folders of D, or is your My Pictures somewhere down deeper underneath some other folders?

Is this My Pictures folder on D your official Windows My Pictures folder using the process trshaner linked to, or is it just a folder you named the same as the official system folder?  The default location of My Pictures is C:\Useres\yourusername\My Pictures

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:52 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Here's how 'My Pictures' appears in Windows 7 Explorer and in LR4.3 Library.

I right click in LR on the top folder 'Pictures' under 'Data Drive K:' and select 'Synchronize Folder.'

My Pictures Move Folder.jpg

My Pictures Move Folder 2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Francesco F.

You're welcome. It's a good idea to keep all of your image folders synchronized in LR, even if you have no intention of doing further editing in LR on some. This allows you to use LR's Keyword and metadata tools to inventory and keep track of all your image files.

Adobe Bridge allows tracking the many file formats that cannot be imported into LR (mp3, ai, .pdf, .indd, etc.), including image files, all in one database. I use both!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points