Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator 3D ruined artwork

Feb 21, 2013 1:01 AM

Hello illustrators.

I started to use Illustrator since CS2 and done heaps of shapes using the 3d feature.ever since cs5 and beyond, ive encountered a problem when ever

I import or copy paiste from illustrator into Photoshop my 3d shape tends to have missing blend steps. I'm setting it to 256 blend steps to get a smooth

transition but when i import my Ai into ps or copy paiste it notice that it leaves some small gaps in between the blends. Now does this happen to any other users?

can anyone please post any shape of theirs done in illustrator and copy paisted into photoshop? Could this be a bug no noticed by adobe?

On the left is illustrator using 3d and on the right is the copy paisted/imported Ai file,ive put a red shape behind the yellow ace of spade to make it clear

that the red is noticeable.

ace-of-spades-example.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to inquestflash

might it just be a visual tick? does it happen in print?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Changing the angles ever so slightly may help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to inquestflash

I did a bit of experimenting and was able to reproduce your problem here, (CS6 fully patched under Windows XP). It seems to have something to do with the way AI builds the blend from the middle-out, (or forward and back, if you will), along the extrusion. The area that goes bad is always along the central origin of the extrusion. It appears to be more prevalent, or at least more visible,  in the "rounded" bevel style than the others.

I tried quite a few combinations for moving it to Photoshop, (although I could plainly see the anomaly in AI while still vectors); expand first in AI, rasterize first in AI, save in AI and open in PS, paste as smart object, and more, but nothing eliminated the effect. One thing that helped somewhat, in some cases, was selecting "Draw Hidden Faces" in AI's 3D Extrude & Belvel Options dialog. Seemed to fill in the gaps, although the effect doesn't appear to be born of gaps only.

So I can't solve it, but I at least corroborate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to inquestflash

Still no fix to this annoying issue! Even simple shapes are not done properly!

Screen Shot 2013-04-22 at 14.14.39.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to inquestflash

I couldn't yet find a workaround this issue. I've installed Illustrator CS4 and did the 3d shapes but when pasting them into Photoshop CS6 the gaps were still there. Only when I pasted into Photoshop CS4 would it work.

I've also sent a bug request but they'll never reply to me to let me know whether it is a bug or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2013 9:51 PM   in reply to solitaireworks

Since you are pasting as pixels the obvious work around is to make a copy of the art and rasterize the copy in Illustrator and then copy and paste the rasterized art.

It is not the most elegant but if you are using the new features in CS 6 to create the art then this would probably a good way to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 12:17 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Thanks guys. But the bug still remains and for a piece of software that costs hundreds of pounds it should have better support.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to JohnBuffalo

Intereting JohnBuffalo!

Do you have anything you can offer that is constructive for the OP of this thread?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points