Skip navigation
PAF\'s Pix
Currently Being Moderated

Deleting a background and adding another

Feb 21, 2013 5:37 AM

Hi everyone:

I am somewhat new to PSE 10 and would like to know how to delete portion of a background--buildings that are somewhat blurred. Also, how to add clouds to that respective space?

I spent 2+ hours trying to find the instruction, but finally gave up.

Any help is appreciated!!

PAF's Pix

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to PAF\'s Pix

Generally speaking, and without being able to see your picture, I would do the following:

1. Obtain a picture of a nice sky with clouds. We shall use this in a moment.
    2. Open you picture, duplicate the background layer, shut off its visibility by clicking on the eye icon, work on the background copy layer
    3. Use one of the selection tools, e.g. lasso, selection brush, to select the buildings. You will see marching ants once the selection is complete. Then, hit delete on keyboard
    4. Place the sky picture between the background and backgound copy layers. Use the move tool to position the sky to best advantage.

You can also make your own sky.. Can provide directions for this if you wish

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to hatstead

Further to above, here is a sky picture which I have utilized:

sky.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to PAF\'s Pix

You can add clouds using photo-realistic cloud brushes. Here I used a variety of these brushes. You don't "paint" as you normally do with the Brush tool. Instead just click once to add the cloud.  You can find some of these at the Adobe Photoshop Exchange. Enter "clouds" in the Search the Exchange box.  An excellent set is the Return to Eden set which I used in this example.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail& loc=en_us&extid=1041011

I painted the clouds on a blank layer. To put them behind the lighthouse I copied the lighthouse to a new layer above the clouds layer.

clouds.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points