Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 Will not open

Feb 21, 2013 7:22 AM

Tags: #error #crash #11 #failure #premiere_elements

I had this same problem with paid version of Premiere Elements 10 for over a year and it never got fixed. Yesterday 2/20/13, the new Premiere Elements 11 Trial was downloaded with the help of a senior Adobe tech, along with Photoshop Elements 11 and CS-6. Both of those work but Premiere still will not start. It shows the opeing splash screen, then gets the familaer Windows notice, "Adobe Premire Elements 11 has stopped working" This is the very same notice I got for a year with version 10, which also never started. When will someone tellme what is going on and how to fix this problem? My 'trial' period ends long before the app ever even runs! HELP!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to ShutterDug

If neither version 10 nor version 11 will work well on your computer, the issue is a bit deeper than the software and probably not something we can help you troubleshoot here on this forum.

What operating systems are you using? If it's Windows, have you manually gone to Windows Update and downloaded the non-critical updates that don't download automatically? When did you last run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter? Do you have at least 100 gigs of free space on your C or main drive?

You'll need to consider other software on your computer also. The antivirus program you're running, for instance, or if you're running ANY program with the word Norton in its name.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to ShutterDug

One common cause of PrE (and PrPro too) hanging/crashing on launch is an obsolete video driver. That is the first thing that I would investigate, to get that off the table early on.

1. What is the make and model of your video card?
    2. What is the number and date of the installed driver?
    3. Is that the latest version from nVidia, or AMD/ATI?
    4. If not, download and install the latest from the mfgr's. Web site.

See this article for more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4137087#4137087

For more tips on PrE crashing/hanging, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - PrE interfaces much more closely with the video driver, than almost any other program on your computer, including all versions of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to ShutterDug
    1. What is the make and model of your video card? NVIDIA GeFORCE 7600 GO
    2. What is the number and date of the installed driver? 7.15.10.9804
    3. Is that the latest version from nVidia, or AMD/ATI? YES -2007- No updates since!
    4. If not, download and install the latest from the mfgr's. Web site. That is where I got it! It is the same as the original.

For Win7-64, it looks like nVidia might have a newer driver for the 7600GO (an older notebook card?): http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/8972

Win7 Ultimate (64bit)

4GB RAM (3 usable) :-/

C Drive has 425GB Free

Storage and scratch disks all external- about 1TB available

Disk Cleanup is run weekly- Done yesterday- Same with Defrag. All disks report 0% defrag-

All needed Windows updates are installed- Critical and optional, other than language packs. Updates checked daily.

With a 64-bit OS, that 4GB RAM is just about enough to run the OS, with very little left over for programs. Not sure if that would contribute to failure to launch, but is an observation.

Please note the spot (screenshot) where it crashes. Could this file it is loading be the problem? It crashes in the same spot every time!

What are the Assets on the Timeline at that point? Anything unusual about them?

When PrE fails, what sort of error, or warning messages appear in Windows' Event Viewer about that time? Do any have links? If so, follow all links, and report what you find.

Wish that I had more to offer, but maybe others will.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

With HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, and some others, the video drivers ARE re-written, to match their versions of the OS, and hardware. Normally, HP and Dell are good at issuing new video drivers, when nVidia, or ATI/AMD releases them, but maybe this chip is too old for them to worry with. Toshiba, has been historically bad, and they have seldom issued more than the initial driver. I use to use this Web site, to re-write my nVidia drivers for a Toshiba laptop: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

As for the "minimum requirements" for Win7, those are just what they claim, "minimum." They are like the same sort of system requirements for PrE - just enough to launch the program, but not more beyond that. With memory-intensive programs, like PrE, the "minimum," will likely work with a Web browser, or e-mail client, but not an intensive program.

As for Event Viewer, I do not know Win7 that well, but in all other OS versions, going back to NT 2, it was activated by default, and is a very valuable tool. Maybe HP has turned it OFF, in their version of the OS? Maybe some Win7 expert will tell you how to enable it, so that you can use it.

You commented that PrE crashes at the same point - what can you tell us about that point?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to ShutterDug

As this is not a laptop, it is a moot point. Interestingly, NVIDIA does have a driver that supposedly is for this card and machine. I have downloaded it multiple times and and each time on install it reports "This driver is for Vista Only. Cannot install on Windows 7",  even though 'Win7' is actually in the name of the driver!! Go figger!

Interesting. According to my reading of the 7600 GO specs. on the nVidia site, it showed "(laptop)." My bad.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:10 AM   in reply to ShutterDug

Doug,

This thread is for Adobe After Effects, but points out an issue with that Adobe program failing to initialize with MediaCore.prm: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4153260

Here is one from Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5, regarding initialization failure with MediaCore.PRM: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?246862-Help-PP-CS5-won-t-load &s=ad5d07cfd7df022d696ff2448f930b4b

Here is a PrE thread, with a slightly different "MediaCore" error message, but the OP did find a solution to it: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4747347#4747347

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:20 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

OK, let's look at another test, but first, how are you launching PrE? Is it from the Shortcut on the Desktop?

If so, in Windows Explorer, navigate to the those two folders. Dbl-click on the .EXE in each, and test.

Good luck, and I am with you, "guesses are all I've got now... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

In the OS's Folder Options, there is a checkbox to Show Hidden and Show System Files/Folders. They are Hidden by default, but changing those, plus unchecking Hide File Extensions, as soon as I install an OS. Hope that change in Control Panel>Folder Options helps.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:59 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

Oops, had not picked up on the empty Folder. I thought that both had files.

I apologize.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

OK, thanks for that report. It was a long-shot anyway.

Wish that I had more, but will keep thinking.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 4:37 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

That should not be it as I always show all folders by default when I first set it up.

Sounds like you set up your OS's, as I do. I often forget that so much is hidden, by default, and just assume that all OS's are set up like mine - mistake.

But I will check as the Adobe geniuses in Southern India have been inside my machine!!

I will not really comment, but just say that checking is probably not a bad idea.

I am feeling very dumb today, as I have not had any useful suggestions on either current "PrE Will Not Launch" threads, but the other poster gets no error message, and also has an earlier version of PrE running fine on the same computer.

Maybe others will drop by with something that helps, but I am batting 0.00 here.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to ShutterDug

Wow! I would never, and I mean NEVER, have thought of that. Glad that you got things up and running, though you had to do some real "heavy lifting" there. The best that I can do is to offer this thread to others, in hopes that it can help them.

Thanks so much for reporting your success, and the steps taken.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points