Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

brush suddenly looks posterization and blocky

Feb 21, 2013 7:25 AM

is there a way to fix this, or is it my colour display settings?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to RezKhan

Could you please post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to RezKhan

I’m not sure I understand what the problem is.

What are your Brush settings anyway?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 8:48 AM   in reply to RezKhan

And you tried converting to 16 bit mode and re-painting as Noel suggested in other post?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to RezKhan

teeesssttt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to rebkey17

Your display profile might be faulty, I guess.

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to RezKhan

I think we should consider the conversation about your problem here, R.S., as Caroline's problem seems to have to do with brushing color into her documents, vs. the display of documents.

Could you please open this image into Photoshop, grab the screen, then apply a severe curves adjustment to spread the captured levels out so they're easily seen?

GrayGradientTestImage.png

When I open the image into Photoshop 13.0.1 or 13.1.2, capture the screen, then enhance the image as I have described, it looks like this:

ScreenGrab_W7_02_25_2013_180725.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to RezKhan

No, the display of information with posterization, while it looks similar, really has nothing to do with the depositing of posterized data inside a document with a brush.  It's possible Caroline has your problem as well, which is further confusing matters.  Whether you have her problem remains to be seen.  Do something similar to what she did and post a copy of the 16 bit PNG file here.  I or others can verify whether the file has posterization in it.

By the way, if you're seeing the problem in not just Photoshop, how is reinstalling Photoshop going to help?

You might have a bad profile set up to describe your monitor...  Sometimes Windows updates bring in bad profiles. 

Or you might have a video card problem.  You seem to have eliminated the monitor.

Any chance you've managed to get your display set to 16 bit colors mode (sometimes called "High Color" mode)?  That's outdated as pretty much everyone uses 16 million colors, but many drivers still support it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Possible sources of quantization like this:  GPU/video card, DAC if using analog connection (VGA), display cable (not likely), display itself (defect or color conversion problem), display profile (correction LUT is bad).

PS. Apparently I type slower than Noel for this one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to RezKhan

The test image looks to have been rendered fine, the concentric rings are nice and even.

Now that you see the rings very plainly shown, when you look at the original dim gray version (without enhancement) do the rings look as evenly spaced as what you're seeing in the enhanced view?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to RezKhan

I'm not seeing the problems you claim to be seeing, and in fact your own enhancement of your screen grab shows no abnormality.  I'm not seeing anything more than I'd expect in your extremely enhanced desktop screen grab either.

That the problem doesn't seem to be in your screen buffer, but apparently on your monitor screen, so I'd suggest trying a new cable, monitor, and possibly video card.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to RezKhan

Assuming you're not just seeing the normal slight visibility of posterization on a good monitor showing 24 bit color, I believe you must be seeing something that others don't ONLY ON YOUR DISPLAY.  It's clearly not coming through in your screen grabs, which don't show anything wrong.  You're apparently looking at your own screen grabs with the same monitor and thinking you've captured the problem.

Your Curves-enhanced Windows background just shows the normal level transitions you see in 8 bits/channel imagery and whatever artifacts the image preparers left in the image.  I see the same thing when I do roughly the same Curves operation you did to the Windows 8 desktop background. There is no indication of a problem in this whatsoever.

There is no systemic problem - though you may have a problem with your specific system.  As has already been said, you most likely a problem with your video card or monitor. You need to replace things until it works right.

Only other thing I can suggest to further get folks to understand what you're really seeing, since the screenshots are doing nothing, is taking a high quality photograph of what you're actually seeing on your monitor.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 26, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to RezKhan

1.  Set your brush spacing smaller to paint more smoothly.

2 & 3:  It proves nothiing to show the posterization in an 8 bits/channel image that's been brought out by extreme enhancement using a strong Curves operation.  Everyone sees that.  This is why if you need to do extreme operations on image data it's suggested you work in 16 bits/channel.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to RezKhan

Brush Spacing is not measured in pixels.

BrushSpacingDifferences.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2013 7:19 AM   in reply to RezKhan

Are you actually SETTING your brush Spacing and Hardness?

BrushHardnessDifferences.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Anyway, I'm ducking out because we're clearly not communicating well - I'm sorry for that.

I wish you good luck.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points