Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Transcoded Videos are too Big

Feb 21, 2013 11:02 AM

Tags: #encore #encoder #transcode

Hi,

I'm new to Encore. I built my project this week with navigation menu for my 7 videos.

My videos are not big in general. If I leave Encore do transcode for my porject, this will create huge files for my videos that would

take up a lot of spaces on DVD.

I started it over. I imported my video. Right click on the file to edit Transcode setting. I played with Min., Traget, Max Bitrate.

If I lower anyone of them, I would reduce my file sizes but the quality are not great. I need to keep adjusting the bitrate and preview

my project and see if the video quality is acceptable.

My question is. Are there anyway to transcode small portion of my video. I don't need to wait until the whole process is finished.

I don't seem to find such option to do that. I'm forced to transcode my entire video before I turn my video to timeline and do a test.

Also, am I on the right track to minmize my transcoded video's filesizes?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 11:22 AM   in reply to commonguy101

If you export from PPro as DV AVI (regular or widescreen, as appropriate) and then tell Encore to use "automatic" transcoding, Encore will take care of the transcoding math for you, to make a "best fit" of video size to your type of disc... single or dual layer

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to John T Smith

What the total length in minutes of your videos?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to commonguy101

Use DL to let Encore do the math for you or export from Premiere with mpeg2-dvd and import those files into Encore.

No transcoding is needed, just build a menu and burn.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to commonguy101

From my experience, default automatic transcode in Encore will use a high quality setting which would generate huge transcoded file sizes.

That is not correct. It will select transcode settings to fit the material on disk. You appear to have something about 2 hours plus, so the quality may suffer, but it may be okay.

Exporting from FCP as mp4 is not the best workflow. You are compressing, then sending to Encore for it to be transcoded to DVD format.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to commonguy101

>have my videos already in MP4 formats

Files that are "DVD legal" are MPEG2... so Encore is going to have to transcode your files to make them legal for a DVD

I never do that, so I really can't offer any more advice

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to commonguy101

Default automaic transcode in Encore will use the best quality setting to fit all videos on disk. My situation is I have 7 videos. They eventually take up about 4GB of space on DVD.

Let's say, now I have 3 more videos (10 videos in total), default setting would adjust transcode quality accordingly to fit everything on DVD. Is this the case?

Yes.

What if I have a few HD videos to put on DVD? Would that run out of space in that situation?

See John's answer above. DVD will not take HD. The HD must be downrezzed/transcoded to SD. It won't take any more or less space than SD footage. The amount of motion etc in the footage is more the issue. Some video will look okay at a datarate that will look terrible for other material.

I generally export my FCP project to QuickTime movies. Not sure if that's a good format or not.

The best workflow is either an uncompressed/minimally compressed export to Encore for final transcoding to DVD format, or export the original to DVD format. QT can be okay if uncompressed. MP4 is not a good option as an intermediate.

7 MP4 videos are given to me so I didn't really output from any sources.

Not much you can do with that if you don't have access to better source. Bring into Encore with automatic settings is probably okay.

Your main challenge is going to be how much video you can get on the disk before it starts to look bad.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to commonguy101

I'm having the same concerns as commonguy101

I'm building the video in Premiere Pro CS5 and creating DVDs in Encore CS5.

All video is a combination of SD video and still photos.  There is an extra audio track (mp3) of music that runs the length of each clip.

Total duration is approximately 75 minutes

ncor.jpg

ncor1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to !RobG!

There are several issues in this thread. What are your questions/problems? Feel free to start a new thread if they are not exactly what commonguy posed in his initial question.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 4:10 AM   in reply to commonguy101

7 videos were transcoded with Automatic setting before. Then, I create 3 more buttons

and import 3 more videos. After all transcodes are done,

Before you transcode anything using automatic, you should create all menus, motion, etc and add all videos to the project. If you transcode some of the videos before this, Encore calculates to make the disc full with only those. If it is not full, it is because Encore maximizes the datarate on those and they are short enough not to fill it. If the final result after adding other videos etc is a full disk, Encore has probably transcoded using a lower datarate than the first videos.

The only downside is the disk spaces on my hard drive.

I'm not sure what that means.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points