Skip navigation
the.rebel.unit
Currently Being Moderated

Launching Render Engine After AE CS6 Launched

Feb 21, 2013 11:45 AM

Hello, I remember being able to have a local watch folder, taking advantage of a multicore proc.  Bascially, I would launch several copies of AE.  Or alternatively, launch the render only app, after AE is launched, and it would watch the watch folder in the background while I worked in AE in the foreground.

I've recently upgraded to CS6, and I don't see this working anymore.  I should stress this is on Windows 7, 64bit.  I'm at a shop that is mainly Mac, and they can double click on the render only node all day long and it launches more and more render only apps, while their AE is running.  When I do that, it takes the full app out of full screen mode, but doesn't do anything else.

I took a look at the shortcut to launch the render only app, and it is pointing to AE.  I don't even see a render only app on PC.

Anybody else having this issue?  This is really annoying!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 12, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to the.rebel.unit

The Render Engine shortcut points to the After Effects executable and launches it with the -re command-line flag, which starts it in render engine mode.

It is not a supported feature to have multiple instances of the application open at once on the same computer. The render engine application is intended to run on a different computer while you work in the main application, not on the same computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to the.rebel.unit

I understand. I'm explaining that it's not supposed to be used that way. The fact that it can be used that way on a Mac is an unsupported and untested accident, not a supported feature.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to the.rebel.unit

You can submit a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

If you want to do background rendering on the same machine, you can use Adobe Media Encoder, which is what we actually recommend (and test).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to the.rebel.unit

You can add compositions from After Effects to AME to have them render in the background. It gives much better results for final delivery formats (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, WMV, FLV, F4V, etc.).

You can drag and drop compositions from After Effects to AME or use the File > Add After Effects Composition command in AME.

http://www.digitalsandwich.net/ae-background-rendering/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points