Skip navigation
JamesInSeattle
Currently Being Moderated

multi-cam workflow

Feb 21, 2013 12:03 PM

Tags: #workflow #muliti-camera

I've recently switched over from Avid and I'm used to bringing all of my footage into the source window and dropping clips into a new timeline. in Premiere 6, I've created a multi-cam sequence with my audio and 2 cameras, I've gone through that sequence and created markers so I can easily find interview bites I want to use. My problem is this, when I put that multi-cam sequence in the source window, mark my in/outs and drop it into my new timeline, i lose the mulit-cam property.

I'm basically just looking for a solid work-flow which allows me to put sync'd, mulit-cam sequences in a source window which I can then pull clips from and instert into a new timeline. If that's not possible, I'd love to hear how folks work with multi-cam sequences that are only pieces of what will eventually become a larger edit.

Thanks so much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to JamesInSeattle

jamesinseattle wrote:

My problem is this, when I put that multi-cam sequence in the source window, mark my in/outs and drop it into my new timeline, i lose the mulit-cam property.

You cannot load a sequence into the Source Monitor in Premiere Pro. Feature request form: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:15 PM   in reply to JamesInSeattle

hey James. I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying, but I think get the gist and I think I've been dealing with similar frustrations. That's exactly how I work with multicams in  FCP 7 and Avid (i.e. syncing video and audio tracks, creating a multiclip, then loading them into the source monitor, making i/o points, and then only taking pieces for the timeline) and I haven't been able to get it to work as well in PrPro.

my understanding is that there's two ways to make multiclips in PrPro, the "old way" and the CS6 way. This tutorial details the CS6 way.

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/working_with_multicam_in_a dobe_premiere_pro_cs6/

Did you use this method? If so, then I don't know what's wrong because it should be working.

But if you used the "old way" (i.e. syncing clips in a sequence then dragging that sequence into the timeline as a nested clip (and not actually creating a "multi-camera source sequence" as the tutorial explains)) then I'm wondering if you've missed the last step. After you drag the sunc/nessted sequence into your timeline, you then have to right click on it and select "enable multiclip."  Any chance you've skipped this step and you're not actually "losing" the multi-cam property, you're just not enabling it?

I'd definitely recommend the CS6 way though because it's more like Avid and FCP 7 in that it creates a "multiclip" that opens in the Source that you can then edit down and use pieces. It's *almost* as good as Avid and FCP (though I still have beefs with how PrPro handles multiclip audio, but that's another post for another day).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to elrod987

Also I just now saw Kevin's response after I posted my own (my page hadn't reloaded for some reason). And not to question the forum staff...

But I don't think Kevin's right. As that tutorial I posted shows, Adobe definitely did change up the multicam workflow for CS6 to make multicam sequences more like FCP and Avid so they could be loaded into the source monitor.

It's not perfect. I wish they'd make the audio multiclipping function in a way similar to Avid and FCP. But it's getting there...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to JamesInSeattle

No problem. good luck. Also make sure you've updated to 6.0.2. When 6 came out it had multiclip sync issues. Basically you could play it in the source monitor once and then it would get horrifically out of sync after that, and the update fixed the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to JamesInSeattle

Here's how you do it.

Create sequence 1.  Add your clips and sync them up.

Create sequence 2.  Nest sequence 1 into it, right click and Enable Multicam.

Cut sequence 2 using the Multicam Window.

Create sequence 3.

When you're done cutting, go through and find the parts you want to use.  Copy/Paste them into sequence 3.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

with respect Jim... i don't think that's what the OP is looking for. The method you're suggesting is what I was referring to as the "old way." This method creates a sequence that can only be loaded into the timeline, which is a really ungainly way to try to edit down long takes if you're only interested in small moments from them.

It sounds like the OP is after an actual multiclip file, similar to what you'd get in Avid and FCP. A clip that can be loaded into the Source Monitor, i/o points selected, and then plopped into the timeline like a standard clip (with the added benefit of being able to switch between angles once in the timeline). This workflow is a must for working in docs or reality tv where you have hours of footage but you just want to pick moments here and there. And up until the 6.0.2 update, Adobe was woefully lacking in this department.

It's gotten a lot closer with the 6.0.2 uprade. The last remaining piece of the puzzle is fixing the audio tracks so that you can have multiple audio tracks in a multiclip (lavs, boom mics, etc.) rather than how it currently works where only the top track is the only audio allowed in the multicam.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to elrod987

with respect Jim... i don't think that's what the OP is looking for.

I assume he was looking for a way to get the job done.  I have provided such.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Geez. A little passive aggressive there, Jim? Sure. You gave him a way to get the job done, but he'd already said he was using your method and that it wasn't working for him. So... yeah... I guess I'm just a little puzzled.

At this point we've two odd Adobe moderator posts re: the CS6 multicam upgrades. Kevin flat out denies their existence. Jim is using a jedi mind trick to pretend they're not there. What's going on here? Is there multicam conspiracy afoot?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to elrod987

he'd already said he was using your method and that it wasn't working for him.

Where?

Jim is using a jedi mind trick to pretend they're not there.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-prn1/c21.0.214.214/s160x160/16440_184589274532_2022218_n.jpg

"This is not the feature you're looking for."

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to JamesInSeattle

Especially with Elrod's link to the Scott Simmons' tutorial, I think that it will be.

Best of all, it's now working for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points