Skip navigation
Pippin Merry
Currently Being Moderated

Color Replacement Brush-learning curve

Feb 21, 2013 2:14 PM

First let me say I consider myself still in the novice stage.

I am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 and have been experimenting with the color replacement brush.  I have a photo of an interior hallway with beige walls and wanted to change the color of the walls to medium gray.  The program won't let me do this according to previous discussions as gray is not a color.  I tried playing with the hue, saturation, etc but am not having any luck.  The trim and doors  in the picture are white, the floor maple, and the ceiling off-white.  Is there a trick or process I'm missing?  Any help is very appreciated.

DSC07635-3.jpg

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to Pippin Merry

You could use the quick selection tool to select the areas of the wall and then use the fill (paint bucket tool) to add gray.

I’ve made a crude selection of the top part to give you an idea but obviously it would take time and patience, especially around the picture and you would need to add back shadows for realism. Not a simple task even for the experienced Photoshop person.

hallimage_jpeg.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to Pippin Merry

It helps if you remove the warm cast from the lighting by going to Enhance>Adjust Color>Remove Color Cast first. Then make your selection, create a hue/sat adjustment layer, and after desaturating the master color to what you want, use the pulldown menu to do the blues a bit more, then adjust the opacity of the adjustment layer a bit:

DSC07635-3 copy.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points