Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Skewing/Distorting paragraphs of type

Feb 21, 2013 6:08 PM

Hi,

I'd like to take the paragraph of type inside the white  path in the attached screenshot and have it go with the angle of the path instead of it just being inside the path but being "straight" as it is now.

How do I do that?

Thanks!

warp_type.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to graph22

I can think of 3 ways to do this, all would start with a regular flat rectangle filled with text so you should step back from where you are now and reset the text frame to a standard, unskewed rectangle.

1. Try the shear tool. It's tucked away under the scale tool. It's a bit unwieldy, but the most direct approach.

2. Use the Effects>3D>Rotate command to move your flat box into 3D space.

3. Use the Perspective grid, adjust the grid to match your photo and drag your text frame onto the appropriate perspective grid.

It will probably take a bit of reading up on these tools and a lot of trial and error if you've never used them before, but it can be done.

Hope that helps, good luck.

[ signature removed by forum host - advertising is not permitted ]

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:03 AM   in reply to graph22

I think Mike is suggesting techniques that would work in Illustrator. You could then place the .ai file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter is correct. This is the kind of project that would work best in Illustrator because it has more tools for this kind of perspective/distortion.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Yes! my bad, I'm subscribed to this list and the Illustrator list and failed to notice this came from the InDesign forum. Just assumed it was Illy. Thanks for the save Peter!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points