Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disable Indesign Lock Files

Feb 21, 2013 8:34 PM

Tags: #file #indesign #lock #idlk

Hi,

Is it possible to disable the .idlk files that are created when opening an InDesign document?

If not, is it possible to change the directory they are created in (the default is the same directory as the file is contained).

Looking forward to your replies

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2013 11:39 PM   in reply to Insomn14c

No, when a document is opened you will find the lock file on the same place. Why do you want to get rid of it? Others in the network or on your computer will see so that a specific file is open.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to Insomn14c

I seriously doubt that there's anyway to defeat InDesign's built-in method for creating lock files. You'll simply have to copy InDesign files from your SharePoint server onto your local drive before opening them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Theoretically, it could be possible to create an ID stert-up for File > Open that runs an OS delete file <some-part-of-the-filename.idlk> command when the file has fully opened on Sharepoint. No idea of the consequences, though. Perhaps there's a Sharepoint method of disabling its file-locking for ID files, which is a good reason to check with Sharepoint forums or tech support.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices    

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to Insomn14c

Trying to get it to work with our SharePoint solution.

I've seen some pretty competent Sharepoint devs try and fail to build workflows for InDesign users. In fact, it's my second-favorite way to humble a Sharepoint developer. However, seeing as we've seen a number of requests like yours on the forums, I think that there may well be a large enough pool of Sharepoint-integration-needing folks to merit a feature request.

(Note that there are two different links - one to the InDesign feature request forum, another to the Adobe feature-request submission form.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2014 5:25 PM   in reply to Insomn14c

I ran into this issue.   There is one workaround, but it isn't perfect.  Once you save your file to SharePoint, open it by using the open dialog and selecting "Open as Copy".  That will not lock the original file.  When you go to save your changes, just do a regular save.  It will prompt you to overwrite the original since you are updating a "copy".

The down side is a little extra work on open and no lock to prevent two people from modifying the same file at the same time.  If you are collaborating on a project, so be careful not to overwrite anyone else's work.  The up side is that you can use SharePoint.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points