Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

illustrator opens PDF with corrupted characters

Feb 22, 2013 3:19 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #pdf #mac #cs6

Hi,

When i open a PDF in Illustrator the characters become corrupted. It looks like "#D)9! etc.

Apples preview and Acrobat shows the text right. But when opened in illustrator everything is wrong. The font I use is plain Arial.

Viktor

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 4:18 AM   in reply to v3ktordotse

Illustrator is not a universal PDF editor. You can usually open a PDF that was created in Illustrator (with Illustrator editing capabilities) but a PDF created from any other program is a risky. What is it you are trying to do?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 5:46 AM   in reply to v3ktordotse

Did you save the PDF with Illustrator compatibility?

You should, if you want to have the ability to edit the PDF later.

I don't get your point about opening single pages of a multiple page PDF in Illustrator. You might want to explain what exactly you did.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to v3ktordotse

I just tried this in Illustrator 6 and Acrobat 10 and it worked fine. I suspect you used an earlier version of Acrobat that did not support multiple artboards? If you used the Illustrator default to save your PDF, the fonts should have been embedded and should not have changed after saving in Acrobat. You can check for embedded fonts in Acrobat (File> Properties> fonts). Did your file originate in Illustrator? PDFs from Powerpoint, and Publisher can be problematic, because of un-embedded fonts, even when placed in Illustrator.

font issue.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to v3ktordotse

The problem comes from the Calibri font used in MS Office. It's the same with Excel when copy/pasting a chart from Excel to AI if the Calibri(Theme Body) font was used. You must make the change in PP before moving the file to AI.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points