Skip navigation
TrevorYork820
Currently Being Moderated

PBS File Corrupted

Feb 22, 2013 4:55 AM

While working on my Mac on a PBS file (just over 3GBs) it crashed while saving.  Now when I open the file, it's a mesh of colors on the screen and only 1 layer and is now only 1.5GB.  Any ideas on how to recover this?  The file is stored on a WD Myworldbook and I have looked for a way to restore previous files but doesn't seem to be an option.  There was no backup file made.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to TrevorYork820

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to TrevorYork820

Have to watch this thread just to find out what a PBS file is.

I know about "pasteboard server" and Paint Shop Pro brush presets with .pbs extension, but I don't suppose it's either of those...(?)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to John Mensinger

Probably "PSB + typo".

Unless you have a backup copy of the file, it isn't likely to be recovered.

It sounds like the OS didnt' completely journal the save, so you got a mix of old and new files.

Normally a crash during saving would leave the old file as-is, and just leave an incomplete new file beside it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to TrevorYork820

If a temporary file was left, it would be incomplete and unusable. There's on a fraction of second between completing the save and replacing the original file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points