Skip navigation
marleneboggs
Currently Being Moderated

Showing exterior views from interior without darkening interior.

Feb 22, 2013 7:32 AM

As a Realtor I need to be able to show both exterior views through windows as well as the interior space. I have a Sony cybershot camera but cannot find any settings to allow for this. Is there a way to correct photos on Photoshop?....or do I need a special camera/lens or what?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

This should be possible. Please post a representative picture for targeted guidance. You can do this via the camera icon at the top of the reply box, or at www.pixentral.com. If you use pixentral, please provide the URL so that we may open it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

Well, you're welcome, but where is the picture?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 22, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

It’s very difficult to do much because the highlights for the exterior are completely blown out so there is very little detail to recover.

The best you can do is to duplicate your image and darken the bottom copy to bring back what little information is available and then lighten the duplicate copy so that the interior looks OK.

You then apply a layer mask and paint over the windows with a brush and the foreground color chip set to black. Then re-save.

int.jpg

int2.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

Marlene,

Most of the outside view is blown out, but there is still some information available.

Here is what I did:

1. Opened picture file
    2. Duplicated background layer
    3. Opened a Levels adjustment layer above the background copy layer, and moved the left and middle sliders below the histogram to the right until the outside greenery showed up. That made the picture very dark. Not to worry. The adjustment layer has a built in mask.

4. Used a black brush to paint over the interior of the room to bring it back, being careful not to paint over the windows. If you go too far, you can correct with a white brush.
    5. Opened a blank layer at the top of the stack of layers in the layers palette, and pressed CTRL+SHIF+ALT+E to create a stamp visible layer, which combines all the layers
    6. Went to Enhance menu>adjust lighting>Shadows/Highlights and played with the sliders to finen tune the contrast
    7. Duplicated this layer and shut off the visibility of then original stamp visible layer by clicking on its eye icon
    8. Used the magic wantd tool to select the blown out sky through each window, and hit delete on keyboard. This left me with areas of transparency

9. I have a photo of a nice sky. I pasted this between the 2 stamp visbile layers. One can also make a sky with a blue background and with use of a cloud brush - more on that if you are interested.

realtor_2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

marleneboggs wrote:

Is there a way to correct photos on Photoshop?....

Clearly, yes.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 22, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

I would also recommend using the transform tool to straighten up the verticals a bit.

int_edited-2.jpg

PS good work Hatstead. That would probably be OIK if the image was being used at a small size.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to marleneboggs

You're welcome. Glad to help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers