Skip navigation
dzn1advisa
Currently Being Moderated

Open letter to adobe: What future for Fireworks?

Feb 22, 2013 7:17 AM

Tags: #fireworks #future #concern #please_help #open_letter

Open letter to adobe: What future for Fireworks?

Hello, My name is Fred and I'm a Fireworks user since ever.

I prefer to warn you about my complete addiction to this software.

There's many discussions on this forum and others, on how you deal with Fireworks "improvements". Some say that you are in the process of discontinuing this program, others of a possible resale ... I even read some arguments about switching to Creative Commons license.
All this is the literal translation of a sincere concern!

Can you give us some answers on the future of Fireworks?

I think our community is quite alive and active, so I hope that you'll respond in a clear, fast answer.

Thank you in advance.

If I made ​​huge mistakes of spelling and grammar, I apologize.

English is not my language.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to dzn1advisa

From the looks of it, the writing is already on the wall.  I own a Creative Cloud subscription and one of the main benefits touted for the Creative Cloud is regular updates and bug fixes.  And every other app like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Bridge, Lightroom, the Edge Tools, etc.  have seen multiple nice updates as part of the Creative Cloud subscription which has made me a big fan of Creative Cloud.  

All except for Fireworks. 

Not a single update or bug fix has occured for Fireworks in Creative Cloud.  Even for the simplest of things.  I have reported typos in Fireworks that still have not been fixed.  In fact, I think the only app in Creative Cloud that has not been updated is Fireworks.

So like I said, it seems the writing is on the wall.  It's a shame too because even with its lack of care, it works phenomenally well for designing user interfaces.  But now others are starting to catch up and people seem to be switching to alternatives because Fireworks appears to be a dead end. 

Without Fireworks, Adobe doesn't have a single UI design app in their portfolio and in particular it seems lots of UI designers are jumping ship now from Adobe to Bohemian Coding and their Sketch app. I'm dumbfounded that Adobe has allowed this to happen.

From what I understand, the Sketch app is created by just two people which makes the inability to keep Fireworks updated all the more baffling.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to dzn1advisa

Good one. We pay for this software, invest time and efforts, teach it to others that absolutely are amazed the moment they realize how good it is.. and how much better it could be... and we deserve information as your customers in order to take some determinations for our daily workflows and tools of choice. We love Fireworks even being the tool you, Adobe, decided to neglect. And we love it because it is much better than any other option and anyone getting this information realizes this the very first second of use. You owe your customers some information.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to dzn1advisa

At one time I thought Fireworks was the most exciting graphics app out there. I honestly don't care about it anymore. If Adobe doesn't, why should anyone else?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to Linda Nicholls

Because it is the way to do things, the way FW users know they should be and because if not Adobe, it will be someone else. We do not have to do what Adobe wants. They should be listening to its customer's needs. And I know very well that if people would know more, they would want more. People are no idiots. They just need info. And Adobe is not informing. That is why we should care. To make things better.

PS - when I say "I know very well that if people would know more, they would want more" it is because I've never known a single designer opened to know more and wanting to improve as a designer, that has tried Fireworks and hasn't immediately been interested to know more. Not a single one.

And I'll do the same with Sketch if FW is not around soon. And I'll keep fighting bad practices and software that is not the best it could be.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to ninotindultat

Software companies should be adressing the customer needs rather than the shareholder's needs. That's not always the case, unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to Linda Nicholls

Well, not always, and for sure not this case... But if the mindset is "I am not following the sheep, I am not doing what others tell me to do but what I know I should do", if people wake up and start thinking what is best for all of us as users and specially as designers, we will be changing things. It just takes some will and determination to do things better. I keep and will keep using FW until I can't. And when I can't if that moment arrives, I'll switch to the best option. Right now, Sketch. I even bought a license already, to support good ideas and competitors. Monopolies are bad. I do not care if the name is Fireworks or Forecast or Fireplace or whatever.. I just want my life to be easier as I design. FW allows me this. Adobe is not helping though.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2013 5:41 PM   in reply to ninotindultat

Sketch is OK for an Apple, but what about the rest of us who use PCs?

Adobe bought Macromedia just for the Flash program. Fireworks is far superior to Photoshop for web work. Photoshop is a junk program just taking up space on my hard disk as far as I am concerned. Not only have they dropped support for Fireworks, they have even discontinued the Fireworks Exchange. Does anyone know where extensions for Fireworks can be obtained for earlier versions of the CS Suite?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points