Skip navigation
melanierichards
Currently Being Moderated

How do I prevent effects from being rasterized/un-editable when I re-open my CS6 file?

Feb 22, 2013 7:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator #effects #bug #cs6

Since upgrading to CS6: when I re-open Illustrator CS6 files, I find that effects such as dropshadow, etc. are rasterized as images or other elements that I can't edit as "effects". I'm the single author of these files, so they're being edited on the same computer and in the same program version. Anyone know why this is happening, and how to prevent it? It's really slowing me down.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 7:40 PM   in reply to melanierichards

Is it possible that you have opened older files created in CS5 or earlier? That in itself is not a problem, but if the file wants to keep that earlier version compatability when you save, then there's a mismatch between CS6 and earlier versions of Illustrator, especially around transparency issues like drop shadows.

Make sure to save as an illustrator .ai format and on the second screen of the save dialog box choose CS6 as the version.

Not sure if that's it, but worth checking. Hope that helps…

Michael Riordan

Adobe Certified Instructor

Digital DesignLab

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to melanierichards

...native to CS6, and saved as version CS6.

.AI or .EPS?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:55 AM   in reply to melanierichards

Are you fully updated? I had a similar problem when I first loaded CS6. The problem disappeared after updating.

If that's not it, more info on operating system and version, hardware, saving method (local or network), etc. might help someone diagnose the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points