Skip navigation
nono372
Currently Being Moderated

How to setup a horizontal shuttle control within a movieclip

Feb 22, 2013 8:40 AM

Tags: #button #scroll #movieclip #symbol #control #shuttle

I'm an action script newb but I'm trying to design an horizontal historical timeline controlled by a draggable shuttle synced with its playback (forward and backwards)

I've been all over the net and nothing really  fits. I figured keeping the shuttle control nested in the clip would make sync the tweens easier and allow me to adjust as the timeline grew.

Thanks for any help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to nono372

I am not sure of the terminology, but if your shuttle is what you move along the visual timeline (not the Flash timeline) it is essentially acting like the handle of a slider component or scrollbar.  Its position along the timeline will normally be used to control whatever you display.

So how do you have the shuttle controlling the content?  You mention tweening, but I am not sure how that fits into the design.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 2:11 PM   in reply to nono372

If your movieclip is changing frames for this slider animation, then you probably do not want the slider inside it.  You want it external so that its position along the length of the timeline dictates which frame the animation is in.

Maybe you should try using the Slider component just to get a working model.  Then you can fashion your own version of it once you get the hang of how it can be set up with the component.  It just requires a bit of math to determine how the position of the shuttle represents a particular frame of the movieclip timeline.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points