Skip navigation
UncleN00b
Currently Being Moderated

PE10 - How do I chop up a long .mp4 and export those various cuts to separate .mp4 files?

Feb 22, 2013 9:17 AM

Tags: #video #clips #cropping

I have a 2 hour .mp4 that I wanted to grab a couple of short clips from.  How do I do that efficiently?  Here's what I did, but would love to know if there's a better way.

- I created a new project.

- I dragged the 2-hour .mp4 to the media files area on the right.

- Then I dragged said file to the Timeline.

- Then I paused the video in each place that I wanted to make a cut by pressing the scissors button.

- Then I deleted all of the excess clips from the Timeline leaving the 3 segments that I was after.

- What I ran into at this point is my 3 segments were in the timeline, but I don't know how to export each one to their own individual .mp4 files.

- So what I did was save the project as "Project1", then saved it again as "Project 2", and then again as "Project 3".

- I opened "Project1", deleted the 2 remaining clips from the Timeline, then saved the video as a .mp4.

- I repeated this process for the other 2 clips respectively.

Isn't there a way I can click on the clip on the Timeline and just export that part as a .mp4 or something?  This seems like a lot of hassle to do something so simple as grabbing a couple of short clips from a large video.

Thanks all in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to UncleN00b

That is one way to do, what you need.

Another would be back in the original Project's Timeline, after you have done the Trims, would be to use the WAB (Work Area Bar), to limit the Export/Share to just that area of the Timeline. When one does the Export/Share, they just need to make sure to check Export Work Area, and not Timeline. For more info on the WAB (a great feature), see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3961685#3961685

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:28 AM   in reply to UncleN00b

No there is a much easier way.

Just set a inpoint and a outpoint for the WorkAreaBar (WAB) and check this in the Export Settings.

When done exporting move the WAB to a new position or set new in and outpoints.

This is what it looks like in ELEMENTS.

But why do you want it in small segments exported?

You can set many instances of the long clip op the timeline.

WAB.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to UncleN00b

UncleNoob,

One workflow for your Project, if I read your needs correctly, would be to Import the full 2 hr. Clip into a Project, that matches the attributes of that Clip. Then, from the Project Panel, where the Media is shown, Dbl-click on that Clip, to open it into the Source Monitor. There, you can set the In & Out Points, for the first segment from that Clip, that you wish to use. Drag from the Source Monitor, to place that Instance of the Clip onto the Timeline, with the appropriate In & Out Points. Move those In & Out Points, to define the next segment, that you wish to use, and repeat. You now have two Instances of the Clip on your Timeline, but with different In & Out Points. Continue to repeat, until you have all of the necessary segments, lined up on your Timeline. Add any Effects, Transitions, etc., and then output that edited Timeline, as required.

That saves creating "intermediate" files, which will likely have some level of compression, and will save having to create a separate Project - it's all in one Project.

You can have any number of Instances of a Clip in the Timeline. They could have the same In & Out Points, or as in your case, could have totally different ones. You will not have actually cut your original Clip, but only added "examples" of it to the Timeline. PrE will use those examples, to direct it what parts of the original Clip it needs to read, and gather data from, for your output file. Still, your original Clip will not be altered in any way, only those segments read from.

Good luck, and give this workflow a test drive, as I think that you will like it better.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points