Skip navigation
EddiedeSouza
Currently Being Moderated

A - B editing Setting up

Feb 22, 2013 9:43 AM

Hi I was told that I could use A- B editing with Premiere pro cs6  which I have purchased, installed & have it working great but can not find any information on how to do A-B editing, which is why I bought the product. HELP please

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 9:55 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Pro CS5, CS5.5, & CS6 forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

Hi Eddie,

Can you please explain what you are looking for in more detail? To me, A-B editing refers to the old way that Premiere worked many years ago, for instance version 6.5. You would have video tracks A and B, with the Transition track sandwiched in between. So, your clips had to alternate tracks in order to have transitions, but that complicated edits since removing or adding a clip in the middle would mess things up in regards to the alternating layout. Other issues as well...

Once I got used to the new single-track editing, it is MUCH easier to work with and far more productive in many ways.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Feb 22, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

Wow... I have not used the term A-B editing since

the days of rolling three 1" machines through a

multi-bus switcher via a GVG controller.

Maybe you mean multicam editing?

I think it might be the closest counterpart.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

A/B editing as such is not possible within PP.  Hasn't been for about a decade, since Premiere 6.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

Hi Eddie,

You have a few options -

1) Use the MultiCam feature, and that lets you view two or more sources at once, and you are the director, easily cut between sources while playing back, and the edits are made in the timeline for you! You can of course adjust the edits after the fact and add transitions as desired. With single-track editing, just drop the transition on the joint between clips.

2) I use another method usually for my work with two cameras. At a wedding I will have two cameras. The main cam does all the close-ups during the ceremony, following the action, while the other camera is a wide or medium shot, very little movement going on. Same thing for stage events. One wide, one close.

The CU cameras goes on V2, and WD camera beneath it on V1. I sync them of course so audio waveforms line up. Then I just play or scrub through CU footage and use the Razor to cut out parts of CU footage that I am not using, and then the WD camera is always there when CU is cut. If I want a dissolve, it can be dropped onto end of top clip, or manually use Opacity with keyframes, same thing.

I guess with a music video you are not cutting parts out in the middle because it has to keep sync with soundtrack, but for other kinds of work, single-track edits are so easy because you can trim the edits with slip and slide or whatever you want to call it, and Ripple Delete and all that nifty stuff.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Feb 22, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

For getting "up to speed," I highly recommend spending some time with both the Help File, and then the FAQ Entries here: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/faq_list

This is a particularly good place to start: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to EddiedeSouza

Just saw the request for syncing tips. Depending on the footage, I can use a visual cue or audio.

For video, I will watch for something unique, like a photo flash, or someone touches their hand to their head, or even someone's footsteps, if I can see the same thing in both cameras. I will find the same frame in both clips and Razor cut at that point then slide the clips over to line up together. After lining them up, I can then grab the cut end and restore the rest of the clip that had been cut.

For audio, just open up the audio waveforms and drag the tracks down to make them larger, and of course zoom in as needed to see more detail in the waveform (+ sign on keyboard) then I just match the waveforms between the two clips!

You'll usually find that the two waveforms may not match exactly, because the editing accuracy is limited to the frame rate, such as 1/30 of a second. So the peak on one clip might be right on the frame marker, but the other one falls somewhere in between and if you try to move one way or the other, it is early or late then! What you can do is right-click the clip and Unlink audio from video, then there is a little dropdown menu at top right of Sequence window, and there select "Audio Time Units". This changes the accuracy of the timeline from 1/30 to 1/48000 to match the audio sample rate! Now you can zoom in further and then move the audio clip independently of the video in very tiny increments to exactly match the other audio clip. So if using both audio clips in the final mix, you don't end up with an annoying echo. I recommend moving the audio on the wider camera, leaving the close-up camera's audio synced to video for best lip-sync obviously.

Once audio is adjusted, then disable Audio Time Units for editing the video again using frames.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points