Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

JKL scrubbing is too slow

Feb 22, 2013 11:29 AM

Tags: #pro #keyboard #cut #scrubbing #final #shortcuts #jkl

In Final Cut Pro, I could tap the J or L key multiple-times and scrub super fast through a long clip.     In PP 6, the J and L just isn't fast enough.  I have to grab the mouse to scrub quicker.  Is there a setting to adjust this ?

Secondly,  I absolutely love this Final Cut shortcut but can't find it in PP.   I would select a clip in the timeline, and then using my keyboards up and down arrow keys, could move the clip to a different track.   I have been able to move a clip left and right but NOT up and down.   Is this possible ?

Lastly,  in FCP I would map a keyboard shortcut to change the 'color' of the clip in the bin after I had used it in the timline.  I have played with 'label groups' but this is only visible in the 'label' tab.  Is there a way to mark or color a clip name ?

thanks very much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 11:46 AM   in reply to sgribber

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to sgribber

1. There's no setting to adjust playback speeds beyond the tips Bill's link mentions.

2. Moving clips to a new track can only be done with the mouse.

3. Colors are changed only via the Preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to sgribber

sgribber wrote:

In Final Cut Pro, I could tap the J or L key multiple-times and scrub super fast through a long clip.     In PP 6, the J and L just isn't fast enough.  I have to grab the mouse to scrub quicker.  Is there a setting to adjust this ?

I've heard people wanting to speed up J and L. There is no adjustment or preference, sorry. Make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

sgribber wrote:

Secondly,  I absolutely love this Final Cut shortcut but can't find it in PP.   I would select a clip in the timeline, and then using my keyboards up and down arrow keys, could move the clip to a different track.   I have been able to move a clip left and right but NOT up and down.   Is this possible ?

I'm afraid not, but it's a popular feature request from FCP editors. I remember when that shortcut was added to FCP, it's very useful. Please make a feature request.

sgribber wrote:

Lastly,  in FCP I would map a keyboard shortcut to change the 'color' of the clip in the bin after I had used it in the timline.  I have played with 'label groups' but this is only visible in the 'label' tab.  Is there a way to mark or color a clip name ?

No, labels need a few enhancements including the one you mentioned. Please make a feature request. Right clicking to choose a label and having keyboard shortcuts for labels would be other features I'd like to see.

Let us know if you have more questions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to sgribber

Great news! Hope that Kevin has answered the other parts, though probably not with the answer that you want to hear.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hi

Regarding the scrubbing speed.  I use a shuttle comtrol for doing this stuff and there is a knob that as I turn it further it speeds up the scrub--all the way from fast reverse to fast forward.  The shuttle control communicates with Premiere Pro by sending keystroke sequences (just as a keyboard would).  There must be some keystroke sequence to accomplish this. Maybye rooting around in the key definition file can uncover the secret

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points