Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"A new folder for every project file"

Feb 22, 2013 2:28 PM

Aha!!  Right, from now on ... (thanks Steve)

From the Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe PE11 by Steve Grisetti

(p 36) [on starting and saving a new project]

2     Click the Browse button to choose a location to save your new

project file.

We at Muvipix recommend always selecting the Browse option and,

wherever you choose to save your file, creating a new folder for every

new project file.

This little bit of housekeeping keeps all of your new project's files in

one neat, little folder. And, when your project is done and you want to

clear it from your computer, you can then remove not only the project

file but all of the temp, render and scratch disk files Premiere Elements

has created for that project simply by deleting that single folder!

This makes post-project clean-up a much easier and neater process.

----

OK, hope I've got it this time (at last)

cheers

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

I use that same scheme, and while it does sacrifice a bit of ultimate performance, it make organization much easier, plus cleanup a snap.

Here is an article on how I use my folders and sub-folders for Project organization: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3998053#3998053

Good luck, and glad that you are finding Steve's books useful. I would not be without them, and with the changes in PrE 11, that goes double.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to gbrmk

OK Brian,

Just so that I understand what you have done, and what you are encountering, I will restate things, and then please correct me, where I have gone wrong.

You had a Project, the Canal_Project, and you then did a Save_As for that Project, locating that Save_As Project to an external USB 3.0 drive. That Save_As Project shows in your Recent Projects list, but when you choose that, to Open, it does not Open. Is that correct?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to gbrmk

While we work on that Save_As Project, I have two articles for you to read:

Project Files & Saving: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

Editing With Externals: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4542396#4542396

I do not think that the second one will be coming into play yet, but it will be useful in the future.

In anticipation of some of the issues, that can crop up, when Moving Projects around, and especially with external drives, here are two more:

"Where is file ___ ?: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Media Off-Line: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3561281#3561281

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 4:41 PM   in reply to gbrmk

OK, that 67KB PREL, "Reworking-Canal-Video.PREL" is not Opening in PrE, correct?

After you choose it, does PrE just sit there?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:02 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Now, there ARE two versions of PrE 11, but the installation routine should survey the OS, and determine which is the correct one. Having two on you system is a puzzle.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 6:04 PM   in reply to gbrmk

OK, the Timeline is blank. Did you get any error messages, such as "Where is file ___ ?"

If you go to the Project Tab, do you see your Assets (the Imported files)? Do they show Offline?

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

In the AM, check out that Opened Project, and look to the far right. If there are any scroll bars, manipulate those, to see if there are Clips on Tracks, that you cannot see, without those scroll bars.

Good luck, and sleep well,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

I think that you are correct - computers need a good night's sleep sometimes too. Maybe the silicon molecules need to realign?

The Project folder structure that I outlined is not the only way to do things. However, the "secret" to any folder structure is to first understand what a PREL file is, and how it is sturctured, then determine a folder structure that works for you, and keep to that for all Projects.

I like my structure, and it's almost exactly like the one that Steve uses and writes about in his books, and Learning Series. It is simple, easy to accomplish, and makes the deletion of a finished Project so very easy. One impetus for that structure on my systems is that I often migrate Projects between my laptop and my workstation, so I sacrifice performance for that portability. I am still using a roomful of FW-800 externals, for my Projects, and moving them about.

Many users build some pretty specialized editing rigs, for very high performance, and spread different types of Assets over many HDD's (many in RAID) configuration. They DO get a bump in performance, which is their ultimate goal, but then each Project has material spread over those additional HDD's, so they must devise a folder structure, that allows them to quickly navigate through those HDD's, and easily find the Assets for a particular Project. Nothing wrong with their structure, so long as they take everything into consideration, before they do the setup. The key is to always create their folder structure over, and over, and to not deviate from it.

As you read over the articles, do not hesitate to ask about anything that is not clear. When you understand the PREL completely, and study your system a bit, you might come up with a structure that works even better for you.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Why on earth does Windows change drive letters spontaneously?  I gather one has to keep a stern eye on that one.

Windows will usually assign the next letter to a drive, when it is detected, unless it has been directed to assign a particular drive letter to that drive. As I plug in, and unplug myriad externals, I want each one to have a unique drive letter, and the same one on each of my computers. When I get a new external, the first thing that I do (if formatting is not required), is to assign it a unique drive letter, in the OS of my machines. The external needs to be plugged in, and turned on, to do that, and in each computer. Windows then matches my drive letter assignment to match the ID of that external HDD. Everytime that I plug in and turn it on, it will get, say "X:\."

As my workstation has many HDD's, and several multi-drives/burners already, I have fewer drive letters available. For that reason, I started with Z:\, and worked back, as I added more externals. I place a removable diskette label on each, with the assigned drive letter, plus a few notes on what I have on that one, say the Project Names. When I finish Projects, or add new ones, I might remove that label, and create a new one, but will mark that with the same drive letter, such as Z:\. As I can easily have four externals plugged in at one time, they might be: Z:\, Y:\, X:\ and W:\.

That means that for every Project on each, the OS will always assign the same drive letter, and Premiere will always be able to link up with all of its files, so that I never get Media Offline, or "Where is file ____ ?"

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)