Working with HTML & CSS code is essential. You must learn the basics before you can build quality web sites. APDivs are not going to work well for you and will ultimately cause you more headaches than you realize. Here's why:
HTML & CSS Tutorials - http://w3schools.com/
Learn CSS positioning in 10 steps
CSS Floats & Margins:
After looking at your page I can say that you can be created quickly using fluid grids.
Can you please provide more details on what you were not able to achieve using Fluid Grids ?
Here are few pointers:
1) Create a blank CSS called Styles.css
2) Create a new FG page
3) While creating the page browse to style.css and attach the same.
4) Add css for background image in style.css.
5) now add a header. Add a figure tag inside it followed by a Navigation tag
6) Place your first image in This figure tag
7) Reduce it to 2 column size and Add 2 column margin to it
8) Place UL and LI inside our nav
9) Use CSS to create menu
10) Add a section tag after header
11) Add a Div and a figure tag in it to create next portion of site.
Hope it helps