Skip navigation
coach
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 Error When Importing Audio

Feb 22, 2013 6:02 PM

Tags: #audio #elements #11

I have PE-11 on my desktop and my laptop.  I'm getting an error - but only on the desktop.  No matter which film I'm editing - when I go to drag the music file (sound track) to  the "drag audio here" block, I get the following dialogue box, saying "Add Media Failure" followed by "The importer reported a generic error".

That's all it says - and it won't accept the audio file.  Doesn't matter whether I do it in "quick" or "expert" or whether I try to move it to another audio track - I get the same error.

When I drag an audio file to the audio track on the laptop, it works perfectly.

Is there something I can do - on the desktop - to eliminate this error?  I really don't want to reload all the media to the laptop and build out the timelines from scratch.  At the end of the day, the desktop is my primary workstation - so I've got to find a way to solve this.

As I'm dragging the file, I see the desired "plus" sign + but when I get to the layout spot and relase the mouse, the error hits me and the file doesn't transfer

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 6:14 PM   in reply to coach

Coach,

As this has been posted to the PrE FAQ sub-forum, I am moving it to the main PrE Forum, where more people will see it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to coach

What kind of audio file... MP3 or WAV or ???

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to coach

I don't do iTunes, but I **think** I remember previous problem discussions... with the solution being to convert to WAV (maybe to remove DRM?)

ADDED read http://forums.adobe.com/message/3279893 for DRM and iTunes information

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to coach

Coach,

iTunes has changed some things, relative to both their music and their files. For other reasons, I have an older version of iTunes, which works fine, and with which I am familiar. The newer versions probably offer other advantages with regard to using the music in a Video production, but as I seldom do that, I have not felt the need for it.

Going back, the only way to use iTunes music was to create a Playlist in iTunes, then burn that to an Audio-CD. That CD would then be ripped (it would be in CDA format), to a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit (as John T. mentions). The resulting PCM/WAV would Import into Premiere perfectly. I use Adobe Audition to do the ripping, but many free audio-editing programs can do the same thing very well.

With that workflow as a fall-back, let's see if we can get both of your computers handling the iTunes files properly. First, do you have iTunes (and the same, or very similar versions) installed on both computers? Do you have the same, or very similar versions of Apple's QT Player installed on both computers? If not, that is where I would start.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill is right. You need to convert this file to a WAV file. (Also note that most iTunes songs have copy protection software built into them which will prevent you from using them in any video project. Which is why most people who want to use music in their videos use Amazon.com.)

You should be able to output at least an MP3 from iTunes -- but how you convert this to a WAV file depends on the operating system you're running your computers on.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to coach

Coach,

Since one machine is working fine for you, but the other is not, with the came version of PrE on both, I would look to what other things might be different, machine to machine. That is why I asked if both had the same exact version of both iTunes and QT Player. I was trying to determine what was different between your two computers.

One additional benefit to not processing through MP3, is that first iTunes uses compression to store most music files. MP3 applies more compression. With the old workflow, one went from the compressed iTunes files, to CDA (no compression), then rip to PCM/WAV, which is uncompressed. That saves one layer of compression, which will degrade quality. Just something to think about.

Good luck, and hope you can find the differences in the two computers.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to coach

Coach,

I would have thought that with the same version of iTunes, QT and PrE, that both machines would then have everything needed - but I must be missing something - something missing from one machine, but have no idea WHAT that might be.

Good luck, and when you find that difference, please update the thread, as it will likely help others in the future.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points