Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mercury playback in CS5 but not CS6

Feb 22, 2013 5:47 PM

Tags: #windows #mercury_playback

I run two ati 5770s in crossfire (and sometimes not in crossfire) and when I used these cards in CS5 I was able to use mercury playback engine and it worked beautifully.  Now that I'm on CS6 I'm unable to do so.  Are there any ways around this or should I go back to CS5?  I really hate rendering especially when I know I have the hardware capable of instant playback.   I'm on windows 7 64 bit, AMD 955 BE @ 4.0ghz, 8gb ram

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to EPMedia

Sorry, but I have never heard of anyone ever getting Mercury Playback Enigine Hardware acceleration with an HD 5770.  We have three tested systems (out of todays total of 1191 submissions) that have been tested in our PPBM5 tests and all three used CS5.03.and got no GPU hardware acceleration.

The introduction of MPE GPU assistance was introduced with CS5 and required CUDA capabilities and the HD 5770 does not have CUDA.therefore there must be some confusion on your part.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 7:19 PM   in reply to EPMedia

There are two specific ATI cards that do hardware MPE... on a Mac with a specific OS version (or later, I presume... I don't do Mac)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/773101 has a link

As Bill said... no hardware MPE with any ATI card when using Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2013 11:03 PM   in reply to EPMedia

Like Bill stated, no Windows version of Premiere Pro to date has ever supported hardware MPE GPU accelerated playback with any ATI/AMD GPUs. You also mistakenly assumed that you automatically have GPU acceleration when you, in fact, do not: All ATI GPU-equipped PCs with CS5 are permanently locked to the software-only mode. The reason as to why CS6 seemed even slower is that it demands a more powerful CPU and more RAM than CS5 did. And even heavily overclocked, your AMD quad-core CPU is no faster than a similarly overclocked five-year-old Socket LGA 775 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to EPMedia

Jason,

Don't waste your money on a high-end GPU because you have only an AMD CPU. The problem is that the AMD Phenom II CPU does not fully support the SSE 4.x instruction set that Adobe makes very extensive use of. This cripples performance in Premiere Pro and some other Adobe Creative Suite applications. The cost of the high-end GPU is only worth it if you also have a CPU that matches its performance. For that particular AMD CPU it is a definite waste of money to go with anything higher than a GTX 650.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to EPMedia

I pretty much need mercury playback now, I can't afford to convert my files before editing

Hardware acceleration doesn't help with simple playback in a matching sequence.  If your system can't handle the media, you need a better CPU, not a better GPU.

Option 3: Build a hackintosh (most expensive option)

Your best option (meaning most performance for the money) is a self-built Windows 8 machine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to EPMedia

You could use Mac drive on the Windows system.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points