Skip navigation
AlessandroDR
Currently Being Moderated

Why my files name switch from small letters to capital letters?

Feb 23, 2013 5:36 AM

Tags: #name #capital

Hi guys,

I've a weird problem working with Illustrator CS6. It doesn't happen all the times but sometimes my files name switch from small letters to capital.

For example the file "file.ai" becomes "FILE.AI"

What could be the reason?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to AlessandroDR

What system are you working on? Mac or Windows?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to AlessandroDR

You are using a FAT file system and short names are converted to the native DOS 8.3 names instead of using the long Joliet names.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to AlessandroDR

I'm on a Windows 7 PC, and am having the same problem. Here is what I have discovered so far:

The file name is changed to lowercase only when the following things happen:

The file is opened outside of Illustrator using Windows Explorer ( or other file directory), however, the file must be in the results of a search. For instance, if I type in the search window the word "Dog", all files associated with that query will show in a list. Clicking on an .ai file in that list produces a lowercase file name in Illustrator.

Selecting the same file in the Windows Explorer without a search ( manually navigating to that file) does NOT produce a lowercase file name, or opening the file directly using Illustrator's file system will NOT produce a lowercase file name.

Ive tried this on several different machines in the office and have had the same results. Also, it appears that the length of the file name doesnt have any effect on the phenomenon. I have had this happen with single letter names as well as extra long ones.

Try this out and see if you are getting the same results. I have tried this on several machines here at the office. All of them are Windows 7 ( 64bit) running CS5.5

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points