Skip navigation
lasers100
Currently Being Moderated

where's my metadata in a video?  Lightroom adjustments not transferred to CS6?

Feb 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Tags: #video #metadata #cs6

I've shot some video clips with DSLRs, and imported into Lightroom4 along with my stills, with normal Import metadata applied.  All looks good in LR. 

Videos are generated as .MOV files.

If I open a video in Photoshop CS6, and look at File Info, there is nothing there, not even camera info let alone the LR import preset with copyright info etc., nor the keywords and caption that I added in LR?  Metadata for videos is also  blank if I look at the file with Bridge. 

Metadata for stills (including what was added in LR) is visible in both PS File Info and in Bridge.

Why doesn't PS or Bridge see any metadata for the video files? 

Separate problem, although perhaps related, is that I made some develop edits to the video in LR (using capture frame, develop, save as preset, then apply preset to the video file).  All looks good in LR, as well as exported files.  However, if I want to use enhanced capability in CS6, there is no "edit in" available as there is with stills.  If I open the video directly in CS6, none of the edits show; I get the as-shot file (which I can understand).  Is there any way to open the video in CS6 with LR edits applied?  At least be presented the option of doing this or opening the as-shot file?  If I open the file in Corel's Video Studio Pro, the LR adjustments are there (clipped to length and colour and tonal adjustments applied).  Why can't I do the same in CS6 if I want?

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to lasers100

With Lightroom the edits are stored in a database which is not comptable with Bridge, at least with stills.  There is an option in LR to "write metadata to file" and then Bridge can read the info.  Perhaps save with video.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to lasers100

Tried a couple of wmv files in both CS6 and Windows Explorer and neither one showed the stars or keywords put on in Bridge.   In wmv file there is no xmp file but have seen some on other video formats, can't remember which ones.  Can see the xmp file in Bridge if you have have "show hidden files enabled" in View.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Curt Y

This is strange!

Just did a test with a .mov and could add metadata in Bridge, once it was opened in Photoshop, Photoshop could not see the metadata.

With the mov in Photoshop it is possible to get the metadata information via a script, so it does look as if there is a problem with Photoshop.

If you want to test this, paste the following code into ExtendScript Toolkit and run it.

It should dump all the metadata to the JavaScript Console in ExtendScript Toolkit.

#target photoshop
    main();
    function main(){
    if(!documents.length) return;
    if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined)  ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");
    var file = activeDocument.fullName;
    var xmpf = new XMPFile( file.fsName, XMPConst.UNKNOWN, XMPConst.OPEN_FOR_READ );
    var xmp = xmpf.getXMP();
    $.writeln(xmp.dumpObject());
    };

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points