Skip navigation
SiresFire
Currently Being Moderated

Fonts Copyrighted?

Feb 23, 2013 1:37 PM

Are fonts on Photoshop Elements (and for that matter, other common computer programs that come with fonts) copyrighted or trademarked? Also, if they are, what would that mean as far as my use of them? I am looking to sell images that some of these fonts are on. I understand that as long as I do it on a small scale, it probably will not matter either way. That said, I like to make sure my tracks are covered, plus I am simply curious about the specific legal restrictions to using most fonts that are not made by you.

Links and source for replies please!

Thank you so much

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 5:51 PM   in reply to SiresFire

The fonts you download should have the necessary documentation regarding its license terms and conditions.  This said, most fonts are the property of the distributor and you need to ask their permission to use them.

However, Google also have its own fonts which you can download and use them in any way you want because they are distributed under common license (Open Fonts License version 1.1 and higher).  If you want links and source then I suggest use Google Search button.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to SiresFire

Try FAQ number 2 at this link:

<http://www.fontsquirrel.com/faq>

Are all these fonts really free for commercial use?
    As far as we know, yes. Please read the license on each font before you use them to be sure. And if you happen to find one that you think doesn't allow it, then please tell us.

<http://www.fontsquirrel.com/forum/discussion/129/eulas-end-user-licens es-agreements>

I don't have a specific answer to your question because I don't know where you are getting your fonts from.  It is just a matter of reading all the documents you get with the fonts.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points