Skip navigation
roxsch
Currently Being Moderated

Why do photos I moved offline in PSE11 not have a preview file available?

Feb 23, 2013 2:01 PM

Tags: #pse11 #missing_offline_icone #reconnect_offline_photos

I moved photos offline in PSE11 and now the photos all have a "missing" icon rather than an "offline" icon.  If I try to use them in a slideshow it says they are missing.  I know I can connect the hard drive they are on, but I used to be able to do this without connecting the hard drive.  I only connect if I wanted to edit.  I recently upgraded to photoshop elements 11 (prior was pse4!!)

thank you for any assistance you can offer.  I can not reconnect the files, as when I connect the hard drive it says no files are misssing. 

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to roxsch

Does the slideshow work when you connect the external hard drive?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to roxsch

roxsch wrote:

Yes it works fine when the hard drive is connected.  When I disconnect it says files are missing. 

Don't you think this suggests that your files are on the hard disk and so you need to connect your HD to make your files available in PSE or any other programs that use or need to use these files.

You may not know but PSE's organizer DOES NOT COPY OR MOVE FILES from its original location.  All it does is create the appropriate links to make these files available.

Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 12:36 AM   in reply to roxsch

This difference in behavior comes from Windows. On Windows external hard disk drives are mounted as 'hard disk drives'. That is they are treated as internal hard disks. Where Pen drives/CD/DVD disks are treated as 'Devices with removable storage' or as external disk drives.

So if you have imported any media from external disk drives and you detaches it, the file imported from it will be shown 'missing' files where in case of pen drives/flash drives/CD/DVD, they will be shown 'offline'.

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:45 PM   in reply to roxsch

Mytaxsite says exactly the same thing as Andromeda. You say yourself that you have moved the pictures to the external drive. Once they are moved it's obvious you can't access them from the internal drive.

There are two ways to 'move' the pictures : either from the explorer, outside PSE, or from the organizer. If you move your pictures using the organizer move menu, you ask the organizer to move the pictures, which it does, but it updates the new location at the same time. You have no 'missing' files to reconnect.

If you move outside of the Organizer, the new location is not updated and the paths recorded for each file in the catalog are wrong. In that case, all your files are 'missing' and the organizer can't find and open them. You have to 'reconnect' them.

"You may not know but PSE's organizer DOES NOT COPY OR MOVE FILES from its original location.  All it does is create the appropriate links to make these files available."

That's what is important. The organizer does not copy or move files on its own account, it does so if you specifically ask it to do so.

In other softwares, files are often duplicated into a location specific (often hidden and not accessible) to that software, but that's not the case with the organizer (same with Lightroom).

The organizer stores the path and many data present in your pictures files metadata, date, camera etc.

And what is important and may answer part of your original question, it creates and stores a thumbnail of your pictures to enable you to browse your catalog even if the media is offline.

If you don't see the thumbnails, it's because they have not yet been created (it takes some time to do the job in the background).

Connect your external 'offline' media, select the files with missing thumbnails, and choose 'update thumbnail' from the contextual (right click) menu. That should restore your thumbnails and make them available even when the media is offline.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points