Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Easy question

Feb 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Thanks for looking in...

I was wondering how to cut a round out of a square. I have this coin I am cutting out and find that by only erasing the background and then importing into my editor leaves some residual artifacts.

I would like to cut it out as a 'stand alone' circle with out  a background whatsoever.

Please if you would in a bit of detail on the steps. How to cut out the dime from the closely cropped background?

Not sure if you can tell there is a  background as I did erase the background and save for "use on the web" with alpha BG. The background is evident in PS as a square that is as close to a round as possible. Which the sqare does show up in my video editing as a 'ghost artifact. Hence me wanting to crop that out as a round...

Thanks for your help on this one

NC

dime.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

You can make a selection with the eleptical marque tool.  May take a few tries to see where you want it start to end up in correct spot.

Check out this link for a few hints.  http://digital-photography-school.com/five-secrets-of-the-marquee-tool s-in-photoshop

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to Curt Y

If you drag guides to the edges of the coin, you can then drag out the Elliptical Marquee from the intersetion of the guides, and it will be right in place.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 7:41 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Depends of end product.  If you want a coin with transparent backgound you can save selection with Ctrl C and click on File/new and paste.

To save with transparent background you can use psd, tiff, or png.  Saving as jpeg will save it with a white background as it will not save layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:24 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Netcommercial wrote:

Which the sqare does show up in my video editing as a 'ghost artifact. Hence me wanting to crop that out as a round...

You should contact the maker of the video editing software and ask for help to prevent the ghosts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,483 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 9:02 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

FYI, in case it isn't clear...

Every image known to modern man has a rectangular format, as far as I know.

Your task is to create a rectangular image with transparent pixels around the outside of the coin and right up to the edges.  Several formats can carry transparency - PSD or PNG for example.

Note that teh pixels that are right at the edge of the coin may end up partially transparent, to avoid jagged edges.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points