Skip navigation
Donald Mazer
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 vs Elements

Feb 23, 2013 7:01 PM

I have been a photoshop user for many years and have CS6. I am enjoying puting still pics into PRE 11 with some video with my new Sony A99(A great camera).It seems to me there might some advantage using PS Elementswith 11. Would it br worth it to have elements? I have Steve Grisetti's book and love it. Any other suggestions how I would use the two apps together. Iam trying the trial PSElements.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2013 7:22 PM   in reply to Donald Mazer

As you know from the book, there are a number of ways Photo Elements and Premiere Elements work together. But, if you have no use for them, Photoshop C S is a far more powerful product.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2013 8:02 PM   in reply to Donald Mazer

I think you'll have more options with CS.   On a separate note - how do you like the A99?  I've been an Alpha350 user for years, and have recently been comparing the A99 with the Nikon D600 - as I make the move to a full-size DSLR.  Don't want to hijack the post - but would love to hear more about the A99.  Thanks Don.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 2:18 AM   in reply to Donald Mazer

If you have PS CS6 no point in buying PS Elements. Imo a waste of money.

You can  interact PS CS6 with Premiere Elements.

Right click on the image in the timeline and Edit Original.

File must be assocciated with PS first.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to Donald Mazer

About the only advantage to using PSElements, with PrElements would be the SlideShow creation function with the Organizer from PSE.

However, one can do SlideShows with just PrE, if the Images are Scaled in Photoshop - any version. It's just a few slightly different steps.

Some of the limitations with PSE are:

1. Lack of CMYK support - only plays a role if one is outputting Images for commercial printing
    2. Adjustment Layer Masks - a big one for me, as I use those constantly for non-destructive Image editing
    3. Inability to create Layer Sets - PSE can edit them, but just not create them. If one is creating DVD/BD Menus, this is a biggie, but one can Open an existing Menu (or Menu Set in PrE), and then modify Layer Sets (the structure that creates Buttons on a Menu).
    4. PSE does more via a "big button" solution, where one does more by hand with PS - PSE makes things easier, but with less control
    5. PS, as of CS6 handles Video, though on a limited basis - if one has any version of Premiere, they will likely find that a better program to use

I am sure that there are more differences, but they just do not come to my mind right now.

I agree with Ann. I have used PS for decades, and have CS6, so have never been tempted to buy PSE, regardless of price.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Donald Mazer

If you hit Save, after editing that Image, it should link back to PrE. Do not do a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, unless you have some other need in mind.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to Donald Mazer

Donald Mazer wrote:

Great! "Edit original" got me quickly  to PS CS6. Now, How do I best gey back to Pre 11 from CS6?

Once you are done with your changes hit Save.

Non Photoshop files like jpg you need to flatten before saving.

Alt tab back to Elements.

You can either close or leave PS open.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points