Skip navigation
DustinDowell22
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting from Illustrator to Photoshop. CS6.

Feb 23, 2013 9:43 PM

Tags: #illustrator #photoshop #help #adobe #effects #mac #export #cs6 #objects #panel #appearance

When I try to export from Illustrator to Photoshop I get the message, "Some containers need to be flattened". When I click okay and open it up in Photoshop, it's completely flattened.

I did some looking around and some people said that the appearance pannel causes it to be flattened? Well, as a test, I deleted all of my layers and just kept one button I made that had multiple objects. I raterized each one individually and tried to export it. In photoshop it was still flattened, but this time to a button layer and a dropshadow layer. Is the appearance pannel making everything in the appearance pannel a layer, and everything not in the appearance pannel another layer and just ignoring all of my objects?

How should I go about fixing this? I want to be able to export in as many formats as possible, but this has me stuck.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to DustinDowell22

Export is really for turning AI art into flattened raster files. To move individual layers from Illustrator to Photoshop, use copy/paste rather than Export. I add one more layer in AI with a non-attribute box the exact size of the Photoshop file -- labeled "Bounding Box," which gets copied along with the current layer being copied. This ensures the items coming from AI will remain in register once they arrive in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to DrStrik9

Actually you can export layers as single layers. But it depends on several aspects. You need to take care of blend modes and stuff. Don't have too many sublayers. You could even export raster layers and shape layers in one file, but the shapes have to be compound shapes. And you need to keep the document color mode.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points