Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Extending the width of a button?

Feb 24, 2013 1:18 AM

Tags: #button_width

Screen Shot 2013-02-24 at 10.06.15.png

I'd like to have a couple more words for the middle button currently shown as 'start'. I imagine that means extending the box to the right but whatever tool and key combination (CMD, alt, shift etc) I try all that ever seems to happen is that the text gets stretched sideways. Can someone please tell me what I should do?

Many thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 3:32 AM   in reply to DearBrianTho

Highlight just  the layer of the button that you want to stretch in the layers panel.  Use the selection tool to adjust the size.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to DearBrianTho

Just make sure that when you "enlarge" the Buttons, there is zero overlap - not even one pixel.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to Alan Craven

Highlight just  the layer of the button

Alan, to clarify, did you mean just the "text layer" of the button? Meaning in the Encore layers panel, expand a button, and select the button layer with the text.

In any event, I cannot get this to work. Any of the 3 main tools (Selection, Direct Selection, or Move) do nothing except to change the text box size and distort the text. The text tool is not able to change the selected box.

What does appear to work is selecting the text layer, then selecting the text tool, and type the additional type desired. This changes the text box size.

I don't use these methods often; I like to edit in Photoshop.

And here is a thread that shows tyhat I really don't understand how this works for some menus:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4092604#4092604

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to DearBrianTho

I currently have no idea what specifically made it work at last.

See my response to Alan. I believe you probably got inside the text box with the text tool selected and typed more text.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan,

I do my editing of menus in Photoshop too, as I know what I am doing there, and more importantly what will happen when I do it.  I do not have that confidence with the Encore editing tools.

What actually happens in the Encore llibrary menus when you attempt to change the size ofan object or add text depends on how the object layers are grouped - most are grouped logically, but some are very odd.

You are correct that the Encore "text layer" expands automatically as you type extra text.  But this can mess up other things such as alignment of a set of buttons,  or you run unwittingly into the problem of overlap that Bill warns against.

You can change the size of any component in the menu independently by selecting its layer in the layers panel and then using the left hand of the three tools to drag its boundary.  As you note, if you do this with a text layer, you end up with distorted text, then you have to highlight all the text layers, and change the font.

I often use round button highlights in my menus, and need to change the size of these between DVD and BR versions of the menu.  You can adjust them all in parallel by selecting all the groups by holding down CTRL as you click on them.  This really simply parallels what can be done much more neatly in Photoshop

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 5:35 AM   in reply to DearBrianTho

it comes up with scary messages when I open a menu so I'd prefer to work within Encore.

LOL. Working in Encore can be pretty scary too!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points