Skip navigation
beret67
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 reset settings by itself, very slow and 19%* efficiency

Feb 24, 2013 1:41 AM

Tags: #slow #efficiency

I'm running 64bit CS6 and have 24GB of ram. GTX 660ti. This shouldnt be a problem and has not been. My psd which is almost 500MB usually takes 30-60 seconds to open and once i am in it works fine. It just took me a good 5-10 minutes to open the psd. The efficiency is at 19%* and i dont know what that asterisk means. I allocated 22GB of ram to it, 8 cache levels and such and it's still being really slow. Should I try reinstalling? This is very cumborsome and would like to fix this problem asap.

this also happened randomly. The program wasn't even closed. My brushes reset, too. I even tried rebooting, and nothing.

also, photoshop now uses up to like 20gb of my ram automically without any files open in the program. Before it was about 6-9gb.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to beret67

This might help temporarily:

1. In Photoshop 6 and up, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac) immediately after (or while) launching Photoshop. A prompt will ask if you want to delete the preferences file. Click Yes.
    2. In Photoshop Elements, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac) immediately after (or while) launching Photoshop. A prompt will ask if you want to delete the preferences file. Click Yes.
    3. In Photoshop 5.0 or 5.5, locate the files "Adobe Photoshop 5.0 Prefs" and "Color Settings" and delete or rename them. They are in the Adobe Photoshop Settings folder in your installation folder.
    4. You may want to save a backup copy of your adjusted Preferences file so it can be restored if needed. This is not necessary, but if you want to avoid resetting all your preferences any time you reset them, it can be helpful to have a backup.
    5. To backup your Preferences, search for a *.psp file (i.e. Adobe Photoshop X Prefs.psp where X is your version) and make a copy. Note that not all settings are stored in this file, however.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 1:42 AM   in reply to beret67

What are your complete Performance Preferences?

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated and have you performed the usual trouble-shooting routines (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation, system maintenance, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to beret67

If your efficiency is down that says your document requires more RAM than you have.  That's reinforced by the performance degradation that you're seeing. 

You may feel you have a big system but you've either done something or accumulated some kind of corruption in your document that requires more RAM than you have.

Consider changing the way you use Photoshop so as not to accumulate so many layers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points