Skip navigation
jay202323
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator Help (Text Wrap/Suggestions)?

Feb 24, 2013 12:06 AM

Tags: #illustrator #help #cs6

I am a student with limited experience using Adobe Illustrator and I need help. I have access to both CS3 and CS6 and am working with a design (see below).

Sample.PNG

This is only a portion of it, but I would like for the letters (BLK) to show through the design as if the words were wrapped around these particular letters such that the BLK was visible through the underlying red background. I am also ideally desiring the letters to be in a particular font as well. My question: is it possible to have essentially transparent letters and wrap this text to these "invisible" letters allowing for the design to part revealing a BLK in red? If so, how do I go about doing this? I would prefer to have no words cut-off so I am not sure a stamp per say would work. Also each word seen in the design is in a separate text box and even when grouped I cannot seem to wrap them. Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to jay202323

Why don't you do it the old fashioned way and sketch out what you are desiring and upload an image of that.

Picture being worth a thousand bytes and all that.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to jay202323

Jay,

Like Mike, I have been pondering without reaching any (wrong) conclusion, including the (im)possibilities that it is actually a cutout (thus removing parts of) the words shown, or maybe just a (normal) wrapping round the outer boundary of the area, in both cases based on the shape of the BLK which is indistinguishable from the background. In both cases, it may be difficult to make out both the BLK and the words.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to jay202323

Jay,

but it is pretty rough and obviously I would like to accomplish this in a sleeker and better looking way

Given the conditions, the only ways to unroughen the appearance are to:

1) Reshape the surrounding words to (better) fit the angles/curves of the BLK, especially the B and the K, the L being easy;

2) Increase the relative size of the BLK, in other words decrease the relative size of the surrounding words, so that the relative deviations from the letterforms BLK get smaller, again especially for B and K.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to jay202323

Jay,

As an addition, you may (which you may be doing already) release the compound paths forming the B and use the inner paths forming the counters (holes) for separate type with the Area Type Tool to fill them, then create one or more paths for wrapping type (a)round the outer path of the B as well as the L and the K.

In any case, for best possible fit you will need to customize/adapt the shape of the relevant adjacent letters; you may do that in different ways.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points