Skip navigation
jdubyabee
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 problem

Feb 24, 2013 5:36 AM

I started a PE10 project on one PC running Vista.  I then installed PE10 on another PC running Vista Business.  When I try to open the original .prel file on the second PC, I get an error message saying either the file type is not supported or a necessary codec is missing.  I have uninstalled, run the cleaner and re-installed PE10.  What can I do to solve this problem?  Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to jdubyabee

What steps did you take to open the project file?

It sounds like you tried to open the .prel using Get Media. You should be going to File/Open.

Also, remember that a .prel file only includes links to your media, and that you will need all of the original media files from your project in order to edit it on another computer.

You also should manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have all of the non-critical updates, which don't install automatically, as welll as the latest version of Quicktime.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to jdubyabee

Before Vista, MicroSoft used to include all of the MS CODEC's with the installation of the OS.

With Vista, only certain versions contained the MS CODEC's, and users with other versions, had to go to the MS Web site, download and install the MS Vista CODEC pack. That brought their particular version of Vista up to the higher-level Vista.

First, what are the full details of the Source Files (the video files used in the Project)?

For more detail on video files, in general, see this FAQ Entry: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

It gives you links to two great utilities, both free, to determine the full details of video files, and that information can likely point us in the direction to get the necessary CODEC's on both machines.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to jdubyabee

If your video files use any of the CODEC's (MediaInfo, or G-Spot will tell us), then this is probably the MS CODEC Pack, that you will need to download and install: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=507

I am not a fan of COCEC packs in general, as many can overwrite good, commercial CODEC's on the system, with hacked, or reverse-engineered versions, that are not as good. Also, many will install all sorts of other "stuff," and some can mess up things with many Adobe programs. With that said, some other users ARE fans of a few of the free CODEC packs, but I happen to feel that one should ONLY install CODEC's, as they are needed, and then, I go to the "source," even if I have to pay for them. That is one reason that I do not want some CODEC pack, overwriting my paid for CODEC's.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to jdubyabee

Looks like you are replying via an e-mail client, and the replies are not coming through. Try accessing the Forum via a Web browser, and see if that works better.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points